Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a LCRx 3" about 2 weeks ago, I like it so much I'm shopping for the snub to carry. I'm just torn whether I want the hammerless DAO or SA/DA. Anyone own both and/or have trigger time with each?

Have a WC SP101 as well, just want the snub in 38spl for lightweight carry which has me leaning towards the snag less LCR. On the other hand the SA option is always nice.

Looking for input from guys that have worked both.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Well,you could carry the LCRx either IWB or OWB. If you're going to get another it might as well be the DAO so you'd also have the option of pocket carry. Even the 357 model works great in the pocket for me.

·
Cat Herder
1,656 Posts
LCRx also is more limited on grip options. I'm a fan of the Hogue boot grips myself. Very convenient for IWB carry. For those with the LCRx, does IWB carry ever cause the hammer to bite you?

·
Registered
198 Posts
With enough range time you can stage the DA trigger pull to a SA level. The hand stirs the cylinder to an early lockup, leaving you with virtually a SA pull for the last few pounds of pressure.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hammer-less for no snags. Don't half pull and let off, you can bypass a chamber with a loaded round. Make the choice and follow through. Full pull, release fully. Practice like it's real.

·
Just minding my business
376 Posts
Already went the route with a 'hammered' J-frame for pocket carry. Ended up with an LCR with the boot grip. Works like a charm. You got to have really big pockets to put your whole hand in there and draw with your thumb on the hammer.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
I have the LCR 327 ... love the gun as my EDC ...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
With enough range time you can stage the DA trigger pull to a SA level. The hand stirs the cylinder to an early lockup, leaving you with virtually a SA pull for the last few pounds of pressure.

Just a thought.
Sorry, but that's a bad thought with an LCR, especially for defense purposes. I'm with BearcatShack.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a new LCRX. I hunted for quite awhile to locate one, and I really like it. It's not an EDC right now, but likely will be when I locate a holster that suits me. I've had no particular problems with the hammer when I do carry it. I like the versatility of this configuration. I am thinking that the boot grip would be a better option in concealment. The Tamer grip makes it more difficult to pocket-draw than does the hammer. Glad you got the 3" model, and I hope to have one before too long.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Both the LCR and LCRX have their strengths.
For concealed carry my choice is the LCR.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I owned an LCR in .38+P back in 2010...ended up selling it in favor of my 2.25" SP101 in .357 magnum. Found I preferred the SP101 to the LCR even though the weight was greater! That was before Eagle Grips, Hogue, etc. offered wood replacement grips with a place for the pinky to rest. Today, I would get the LCR and a wood Eagle Grip for it so it wouldn't 'grap' on every piece of cloth around (including kitchen towels) when you walk past like the rubber grip does...just a personal preference.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've always preferred a hammer on my revolvers. My J-frame was a 438 with shrouded hammer. Something I have always just wanted to have. BUT, the LCR 9mm did not come in the LCRx model, so I had to settle for hammerless. I have no complaints, and the gun is on my hip on my days off and in my cargo pocket on work days. Never misses a day.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry, but that's a bad thought with an LCR, especially for defense purposes. I'm with BearcatShack.
More for range usage as the OP says he's considering SA vs DA, so I'm assuming SA option for range/target.

Full pull on the street, and SA's probably not a thing outside maybe Deadwood in 1876.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Much prefer the LCRX never a problem with .38 Spec.+P either. Now if Ruger would come out with the LCRX version in all calibers that would be great especially .357!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I chose the LCR for some reasons given previously. I had already determined to start with pocket carry, so a snag-free gun was a given, and I wasn't comfortable with an auto in pocket carry so a DAO revolver it was. Personally, I shot revolvers for a number of years before ever buying a centerfire automatic pistol...but most of that shooting was SA, and I wanted to remove any temptation to shoot that way. This way, I am DAO, and I have been practicing to perfect that.
As several others have noted, what I want is a single smooth DA pull (and the LCR is much better at that than my other snubby) which can be developed -given enough practice- into effective point shooting. The hardest part for me is to train to completely pull - completely release, etc. I will occasionally short-stroke a round, but that's becoming rare.
I am currently carrying my LCR in .38 Special in a DeSantis Nemesis holster, with 2 speed strips on the side.

·
Cat Herder
1,656 Posts
I have a new LCRX. I hunted for quite awhile to locate one, and I really like it. It's not an EDC right now, but likely will be when I locate a holster that suits me. I've had no particular problems with the hammer when I do carry it. I like the versatility of this configuration. I am thinking that the boot grip would be a better option in concealment. The Tamer grip makes it more difficult to pocket-draw than does the hammer. Glad you got the 3" model, and I hope to have one before too long.
The boot grip has the Tamer insert too. But it doesn't have the finger grooves and has slick plastic sides rather than rubber. The front and back of the grip are rubberized to help with gripping the pistol.

I carry an LCR 22 WMR in a Sticky IWB. Very lightweight and comfortable. I may someday get another in 38 or 357 (used to have the 38), but the hope is that my wife will be more comfortable with the 22 WMR.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts