Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just shot ten rounds with my new .38 LCR. Compared to my SP101 3" it shoots about six inches low at 20'. As light as it is I figured it would shoot high. Is it the nature of gun or is it operator error?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Mr Frank, this is a common complaint with newly aquired LCRs. I had the same issue with mine. Many people have commented the same. The cure is getting used to the trigger. Its different than anything else out there. I think its caused by the trigger letting off way sooner than expected. As you know, the trigger has a short area of stacking, and then some travel with the same pressure. Most triggers have progressive stacking. If you are an experienced shooter, when you are squeezing the trigger, you expect to have to give the trigger increasing pressure up to the break point. When the LCR trigger reaches the point of pull where no more pressure is needed, I think this causes the shooter to drop the barrel. Dry firing and live ammo training will get you where you need to be. I doubt there is anything wrong with your LCR, Mine shoots right on the money at 7 yards, once I learned how to manipulate the trigger.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
LCR trigger

Mr Frank, this is a common complaint with newly aquired LCRs. I had the same issue with mine. Many people have commented the same. The cure is getting used to the trigger. Its different than anything else out there. I think its caused by the trigger letting off way sooner than expected. As you know, the trigger has a short area of stacking, and then some travel with the same pressure. Most triggers have progressive stacking. If you are an experienced shooter, when you are squeezing the trigger, you expect to have to give the trigger increasing pressure up to the break point. When the LCR trigger reaches the point of pull where no more pressure is needed, I think this causes the shooter to drop the barrel. Dry firing and live ammo training will get you where you need to be. I doubt there is anything wrong with your LCR, Mine shoots right on the money at 7 yards, once I learned how to manipulate the trigger.
:)+1. Trigger control---EVERY gun ( even within a given model) has a different trigger feel. Just takes getting used to. Dry firing with a nickle laid on top of the barrel is the best way to get familiar with your LCR.:D

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
For my shooting abilities, my LCR-357 seems to be sighted for 12 yards with the .38 FMJ rounds I've used. My LCR-22 sights work at 6 yards with either Federal bulk or CCI Mini-Mags. Quite a difference.

I do not have enough range time with either to get out a file and shorten the .22 front blade, though. Once I'm satisfied on my technique, I hope to have the two LCRs shoot about the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I really tear up the paper guys left shoulder at the range with my LCR 38+.
That would be upper right looking at him. I have bifocals, and I have the choice
of clearly seeing the gun sights, or the target, not both. (o:

I don't know enough about guns understand how 1 to 100 yards can make
a difference, unless you are talking about the weight of the bullet making it drop?

I also bought a LCR 22, and I am all over the target, but within the black body line.
I love cheap ammo!

·
Registered
584 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just shot ten rounds with my new .38 LCR. Compared to my SP101 3" it shoots about six inches low at 20'. As light as it is I figured it would shoot high. Is it the nature of gun or is it operator error?
I have had three LCRs, one .38 and two .22s and they have all shot somewhat low no matter who was firing them with the stock sights. Trying some optional XS and Hi Viz sights that Ruger offers they really shot so low as to be hard to aim at all. You had to aim so high you virtually couldn't see the target. With my other revolvers I can hit small swinging targets even out to 25 yards with no trouble,but they all have much better adjustable sights on them.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
My first 100 rounds were low but I have better groups now that I have put 500 rounds through it. I think it was just getting used to the trigger.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
When you shoot try to pull straight through the trigger pull & see if that helps. Pull the trigger smoothly & evenly, not fast to start with see if helps. The Ruger trigger was easy for me to get used to. I've only shot one LCR, but the trigger pull was so smooth & even it was easy to shoot.

I think the LCR is a very good gun, it's reasonably accurate, light enough to be carried every day, & for me easy to shoot well.
Frank

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The recommended sight picture in Ruger's LCR manual has not worked for me well at all. It seems I can physically see the barrel pointing a tad low when I use their sight picture.

I don't want to fault the Ruger engineers, and I know part of the problem is me., but I'm going to get out of that habit and try a different approach with the sights next time, as I'm not happy with my results with the LCR so far.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
ChrisLCR

Try a set of snap caps & do a lot of dry firing (after making certain the gun is empty) I think that will help develop a method of shooting that gun that you will be pleased with. For me it's an easy gun to shoot well.
Frank

·
Registered
172 Posts
I really can't remember how my KLCR shot before I installed the XS Big Dot, but I know now that it is "dead-on". Just split the Big Dot in half with the original rear sights, while "covering" the POI with the Big Dot (as explained in the instructions and on the YouTube Vids) gives me POA=POI with tight groupings at all distances. Love the Big Dot! Take care all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The LCR is different,all right!
The trigger is something I also will have to get used to( just picked up my new lcr yesterday)
The feel,and the pull of the trigger is way different than my GP-100!
Getting some snap-caps today,to work on dry firing..But,I love this little snubbie,without even putting one round through it yet!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
ChrisLCR

Try a set of snap caps & do a lot of dry firing (after making certain the gun is empty) I think that will help develop a method of shooting that gun that you will be pleased with. For me it's an easy gun to shoot well.
Frank
I have snap caps and dry fire all the time, but still have problems hitting the broad side of a barn at the range.

Some of the problems are me, and some of the problems are the range itself. It's hard to shoot well in a smelly, smokey, claustrophobic atmosphere were everyone around you is shooting hand cannons and you keep getting hit with their shell casings.:mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lcr shooting low

I have a lcr38 and I also am having the shooting low prob.. I have tried diff ammo (manufacture and weight) still same result shoot 6-8 inches low and little to left. It holds consistent pattern just way to low. This is at about 15ft. I have read too many post of lcr owners with the same prob. Do not believe that all are having same problem due to trigger. I have shot S&W and Taurus snubbies dbl action with much better results.. I used a laser bore sight on lcr and the laser dot is 6-8 inches low and slight left (which is consistently where the rounds are hitting) using the 6 o'clock sight alignment as Ruger suggest and what I have used forever. I know these are not long distance target guns but at 15 feet being 6-8 inches low is unacceptable. This was to be my wife's ccw and I can not let her carry it this way. I have also used laser bore sight on all my other handguns and they are dead on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really can't remember how my KLCR shot before I installed the XS Big Dot, but I know now that it is "dead-on". Just split the Big Dot in half with the original rear sights, while "covering" the POI with the Big Dot (as explained in the instructions and on the YouTube Vids) gives me POA=POI with tight groupings at all distances. Love the Big Dot! Take care all.
Ditto. Love the big green DOT. Cover the point of aim and squeeeeeze. Works fine for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually hit the target with my LCR

I don't believe the main difficulty with LCR accuracy is the trigger. Based on my experience today, I'm at the 300 round mark now, it's the sights! While the factory ramp is bad the XS sights add no advantage unless you are shooting in the dark. I am now thinking that the individuals that raved about the XS sights in various reviews actually work for the company that makes them.

It is difficult to gain a reliable/repeatable sight picture and any slight deviation in the way that stubby little barrel is pointed will throw the impact off dramatically. My best shooting is at 9 ft and still low most of the time.

I'm now at the crossroads of deciding wether to throw more good money after bad and go for the HiViz sights or just chuck it and buy a SIG P938.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
What I did to improve sighting my LCR was first installing a Meprolight tritium front sight. This provided some improvement. The best move I made was to purchase a laser bore sight. With the laser installed in the cylinder you get instant feedback on how to use the fixed sights. I believe the boresighter cost about $30 and I use it to initially check/adjust my adjustable sight 38s & 357s as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts