Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to carry an LCR--I'm a devoted revolver fan, so I think it would work for me. I also can roll my own, so I've narrowed my choice down to the LCR in 9, 327 and 357. They all have the same stainless steel frame, so my decision is hinging on other factors. I am going to list some pros and cons, and I hope folks will weigh in with thoughts.

The 357 makes a lot of sense. I have a lot of other 357 revolvers, and there is ammunition choice versatility. My concern is that I have a scandium/titanium S&W, and shooting 357 out of that is a painful experience (though it weighs about 3 ounces less than the LCR). I suppose I could hand load light 357s, or perhaps get lower recoil defensive rounds (I'm a bit shy about using reloads for defense). Of course I could use 38+P, but then following with 357s is tough unless you clean the chambers in the cylinders.

The 9 has moon clips, which I consider an advantage and I have a revolver that uses them in 357. Reading other threads on this site and elsewhere suggest that 9+P approaches light 357 power (give or take) but doesn't have quite as much kick nor muzzle flash. But there is the crimp jump issue.

The 327, on paper, sounds like a great compromise. Cannelured bullets, ballistics approaching 357, softer kick/muzzle flash, and ONE EXTRA ROUND! But, other than 32 H&H magnums and a rare finding of 327 self defense rounds, I cannot locate any "plinking" 327s. The brass is available, and I can load my own (assuming I can find a die set), but it concerns me that the ammo is virtually no where to be found). I don't know if this is a general state of affairs or if we are just in a lag time between new 327 platforms being introduced and ammo manufacturers ramping up production?

I'm hoping for input on intangibles, or opinions of folks who have fired all three. I know there are a lot of ballistics arguments that can be made to support multiple points of view, and I'm not really interested in those as I think they are somewhat minor differences in terms of what will matter if I ever have to pull the trigger in anger.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the LCR357. Shooting full house 357 wasn't fun BUT, I had a mid range load loaded for me that replicated Corbon or Gold Sabor Defense Rounds. These rounds were not bad for practice. After a few years and 28000 rounds Arthiritis set in so I switched to 38+P and 38 for practice. The gun still shoots great, shows little ware, and has a great trigger. My gun has 4000 rounds through it now. 2800 rounds were the reloaded 357 125gr. JHP.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I have a 357 also and love the fact that I can shoot 38 plinkers and full house 357s and everything in between. Are full house loads fun? No, but are doable. I carry 38+P Golden Sabers and feel very comfortable with them. I pretty much dedicated myself to the 357 cartridge based on my location (no 4 legged threats) and it being a proven 2 legged critter stopper. I have several other 357 firearms. Ammo is plentiful and the 357 is a dream to reload.
The 327 is intriguing to me and I'd like to shoot one to compare. Ammo availability is a concern for me, but reloading is an option.
I've heard mixed opinions on the 9mm. I personally would not get a 9, but that's just me. Several members report good results with theirs. I just wouldn't like the moon clips. One more thing to worry about.
Good luck on a choice....my opinion is get the 357!

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you have other revolvers then keeping the 357/38 is prudent. Hot 38 +p is not a weak choice. It would be more pleasant experience compare to 357 in light weight lcr. But try mild 357 first, you might be surprised. 357 in sp101 is not bad with 357, and it weighs around 27oz.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Truth is there is no wrong answer here but you have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself. If you're willing to almost exclusively reload, then go with the 327. Personally I'd be leary of moon clips for a carry gun but others don't find that an issue.

I'll vote for the 357 carrying 38+p or if you must, the 357 Golden Saber load. I don't want to go any hotter in this gun.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brass and bullets in 327 and 32 available everywhere, I just ordered th3 lcr 327 for my wife.
I agree I see brass available mail order, and I see bullets on the shelves in my local stores. But I haven't seen complete cartridges--have you in your neck of the woods?

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I have an LCR9 which is my EDC and my LCR357 is a backup carry.
Haven't found any firearm yet to change my mind, but that is just me.

I think you have good reason to get one of each caliber; .357, .9mm & .327.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All--thank you for your opinions and thoughts. I foresee a 357 and probably a 327 in my future; I think a 9 is less likely but not out of the running (jeez, what a budget wrecking thread).

I have an LCR9 which is my EDC and my LCR357 is a backup carry.
Haven't found any firearm yet to change my mind, but that is just me.

I think you have good reason to get one of each caliber; .357, .9mm & .327.
So I have a question for you. Given that your EDC and B/U carry are the same size, the same weight (mostly), the same shot capacity, the same trigger, etc. why did you choose the 9 as your main carry? Reload speed?

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
So I have a question for you. Given that your EDC and B/U carry are the same size, the same weight (mostly), the same shot capacity, the same trigger, etc. why did you choose the 9 as your main carry? Reload speed?
I am impressed with the ballistics of the 9mm which is very close to the same bullet size as the .38 and .357.
My EDC was my LCR357 until they introduced the LCR9.
It is very easy for me to carry a couple of loaded moon clips, and yes, the ability to quickly eject and load a new moon clip is the final clincher.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have the LCR in 357 and 327 and 38. My 38 gets carried more than the other two. It will handle the +P loads and is 3.5 oz lighter than the other two. Recoil is pretty snappy in the 357 and 327 and with the short light barrel the 38 is a bit more easy to control. 327 ammo is available in my area but I load my own. 32 long dies will load the 327. I also use Rainier bullets 100 grain. What ever you decide I think all 3 will get the job done.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
To me yes the .357 LCR more ammo choices ammo easier to find. But the .327FM LCR gives you 6 rounds vs 5 plus there is some versitality to the .327FM like the .357 has. My latest CCW gun is my Ruger SP01 .327 FM with a 3 inch barrel, I really like this gun kept a eye on it for several months before I bought it. One thing I got it for is the 6 rounds it's nice you can find th ammo but you have to look for it. I do have the Ruger LCRX .38Special+p went with this model to give me SA/DA which I much prefer. The .357 is too much for my hands but might work out great or the OP but I would still give the .327FM consideration as well good luck!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I watched the Hickok45 review of the 9mm LCR. He complained a bit about recoil and he had trouble hitting the targets.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
My LCR .357 is my primary carry. For practice I generally use .38 because I too have some athritis in my shooting hand and a steady diet of .357 is just too painful. However, I do carry Hornady CD .357 in it. I presume that in a life/death situation, the least of my worries will be some pain from the snappy recoil!

As several have said, it will come down to personal preference. Is there a way you can try out all three in a rental situation before deciding?

Good luck. Whichever one you finally choose, it is a good little revolver.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I'd say go with the original 38SPL LCR. They are lighter, hold the same amount of ammo as the 357 and won't have the extra recoil/muzzle blast as the 357. IMO 357 is a waste in any snubbie because it really requires a longer barrel to get up to its full potential.

You roll your own so 327 may work for you but there isn't much cheaper reloading to be done than 38SPL.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recently picked up the 327 lcr, after selling my 38 SPC lcrx . I'm 68 years old with a little arthritis in my hands. With the Hogue tamer grip on the 327 , I don't have any problem with the factory Speer loads. I also roll my own, so I can dial down the muzzle energy to any comfort level I want. My 100 gr XTP ( 1180 fps, 309 ft-lbs M.E.) load is easier to shoot than factory, but still a lot more energy than a 38 spc snubby. I already have told my LGS that I'm on the market for an lcrx in .327 FM, and wrote Ruger CEO, as well. I like this little caliber . :)

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
No love for the LCR 9? That's what I recently bought and have no issues. Sure it might bark a bit, but then so does every snubbie with the exception of a 22LR. I like moon clips and cheaper ammo, especially for training purposes.

I changed the grip to accommodate my gorilla like hands and the sights to compensate for old age. Coupled with a DeSantis mini-scabbard holster she's almost perfect sitting on my hip.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had the fortunate experience of trying the .38, 9x19, and .357 on the same day (way before the .327).

.38 was about what I expected, and the lighter build was nice. The .357 was sheer madness for me. I cannot imagine looking forward to a range trip with that snorting beast. Follow on shots were very difficult for me to get into the ring.

The 9x19 is plenty powerful, and follow-on shots are manageable. I've found the muzzle rise to be just about what you need for "two center mass, one neuro mass" at 7 yards. Although heavier than the .38 by 4 oz, it doesn't feel any heavier on the hip.

The 9x19 hit the sweet spot. Just under 1/2 way between the manageable .38 kick and the .357 wrist cracker.

I like the moonclips, buy a box of 50 cartridges, pre-load onto 10 clips, makes quick work of your range preparation.

It also fits in with reducing the boxes of ammo I have been buying as I'm moving everything to 9mm; semi-auto, carbine, revolver, 1911, etc. Are you factoring in cost of ammunition?

You can't go wrong with any of them, Ruger fortunately has given us the ability to pick our cartridge and get the same ergo-dynamics and build quality for around the same price and weight.

Now when the LCRx 3" comes out in .22MAG or .327...Trail/Kit Gun heaven!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
KN I like your larger grip it might help tame the recoil better with my LCRX but also makes the gun a tad tougher to conceal. I have a Galco holster very similar to your DeSantis holster.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts