Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It doesn't exist. Any inside info if it ever will? Can anyone suggest a similar revolver? I need ultralight for backpacking, and 357 for bears/cats. An exposed hammer is a must too. Ie. an lcr-x in 357 :)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I love my LCR in 357. I haven't heard of an exposed hammer model coming out, but you never know.

On other note, I'm not sure if I would be packing that particular gun for bear and cat protection. I'm pretty proficient to about 7-8 yards with that weapon. That's what it was designed for. I might be packing something a bit more for bears. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love my LCR in 357. I haven't heard of an exposed hammer model coming out, but you never know.

On other note, I'm not sure if I would be packing that particular gun for bear and cat protection. I'm pretty proficient to about 7-8 yards with that weapon. That's what it was designed for. I might be packing something a bit more for bears. Just my opinion.
My ruger super Redhawk in 44mag is just too heavy. My 1911 in 45 acp is under powered. The 357 kinda splits the difference IMHO.

Curiously,

Edfardos

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My super Redhawk in 44mag is just too heavy. My 1911 in 45 acp is under powered. The 357 kinda splits the difference IMHO.

Curiously,

Edfardos
How do you carry your SRH? I got a chesty puller rig with a sourdough pancake for my 6" GP100 from Simply Rugged and it distributes the weight nicely.

I would love to see the 3" LCRx in 357 myself. That would be a great pack gun.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ruger already makes a great five shot, packable, .357 capable, double action revolver with an exposed hammer.... it's called the SP101

·
Banned
650 Posts
I would get a 4" SP101 or or a 6" Redhawk for critter defense. A 357 mag is not bear medicine. A 357mag makes around 600 ft lb of energy with a 6" barrel. A 12ge shotgun is bear medicine with a 1 oz slug and over 2,500 ft lb of energy. A pistol is something in the event you are separated from your long gun. Bears can run 30 mph and cats are lightning quick. I doubt you can do more than throw a snub nose at either one.

Watch some of those Alaskan hunts on the Sportsmans channel. You will not see a hunting guide toting a snub nose or a 4" barrel for that matter. You need enough barrel for the gasses to expand and good sight radius to make accurate shots. In critter defense you are going to be attempting shots over 25 yards.

I would be thinking 44 mag or larger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I completely agree with the power factor issues, but I'm literally counting grams for one-week trips. The Redhawk in 44mag is great for over nighters. Once your pack hits 50 lbs you'll be thinking of any way to drop a couple ounces. I currently only put 6 rounds in the 1911 just to lose some grains of weight.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I completely agree with the power factor issues, but I'm literally counting grams for one-week trips. The Redhawk in 44mag is great for over nighters. Once your pack hits 50 lbs you'll be thinking of any way to drop a couple ounces. I currently only put 6 rounds in the 1911 just to lose some grains of weight.
We used to go on forced marches with a 90lb pack just for exercise. Once we were deployed we carried more than 90lb. Start with 1 mile hikes and work your way up to 10 or 12 miles. To make progress you need to hike 2 or 3 times a week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That alloy s&w 44mag sure looks interesting thanks! I'd still like to see the 357s that meet my spec too. The missing lcr-x in 357 seems like a big gap in the market place. Maybe the sp101 is it for now?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think a 3" SP101 would not be that much heavier than a 3" LCRx. Weight is your friend for magnum rounds. I already don't want to shoot 357 from my LCR. 44mag iin 25oz?!? No thank you. :eek:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sounds like you need a 10mm full Norma load.

A friend of mine hit a black bear in a tree with a 12 gauge sabot load, monster dropped to the ground and ran off (injured). The 12 gauge became unusable for some reason I don't quite recall, but he always carries a Glock 40 with the original Full house Norma loads.

10 shots through the shoulders and brain pan to take out an injured, cornered and charging male blackie. Saved his life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts