Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the wife's new LCRX-3 to the range today to adjust rear sight as she was shooting low. Tried adjusting rear sight as I was 2 inches low from a rest at 5 or 7 yds. No amount of adjusting (sight raised to max) would raise the POI, Anyone else have a problem with these sights?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Two inches low at 5 or 7 yards is bad. My wife has a standard LCR 38 Special and it shoots to POA at 30 feet.
Hope you get the problem solved.
Does it shoot low when shooting off hand? Just asking because something weird has gone on with my SR40. I was shooting high and right from rest and ok off hand. Got off of the sand bags and just rested my arms on the table and it was good. Only happened that one time with three groups of five shots each. Strange. Had to be me.

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
Ok with a single action revolver with fixed sights in order to raise your point of impact they usually would file down the front sight. Where you have tried to raise your rear sight did you also try to bring down your front sight more in the picture or brackets of your rear sight?? Not sure what to tell you to do! I have the snub LCRX that the POI/POA is right on at 7-10 yards. Have your tried a different loading's say try a heavier bullet weight

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adjustable rear sight raised as high as it will go via the adjusting screw. Using the light American Eagle 130 grain. Problem is the POI is the same (couple inches low) whether sight is at its highest or lowest height. I can eyeball the sight and watch it go up and down when adjusting the screw but it makes little difference in the point of impact--even at 15 feet. Also tried leaning on the side wall off handed--no difference. This is both single and double action. Good thing I had my Mark II Target 22lr with me. Was dead on at 50 feet.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,865 Posts
Well from your statement about shooting your mark II target pistol well, I won't insult you and insinuate it was your shooting skills. Must be something else.

First thing I would do is put some heavier grain loads through there. Try some 158 grain rounds. That will raise POI but we wont know how much till you report back. :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
It doesn't make sense that the POI is the same whether you raise the rear sight or not.
Can you eyeball the rear sight and see it move? All other thing being equal, if the rear sight goes up the POI has to go up; it doesn't have a choice.

Oops, OK I saw you said you can see it move. Still does not make sense. If it moves, POI changes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. Agree doesn't make sense to me either. Going to get some heavier grain 38's and want to really give the sight adjustment a workout (and use a better rest) to see if I can figure this one out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Embarrassed to say that yesterday while cleaning 3 of my pistols I tried a different screw driver (not a gunsmith driver like I used before):) on the rear sight and darn if I wasn't able to raise the sight some more. Still haven't found any 150+ grain 38's yet but have only been to 2 stores. Will update when can get to the range again.:)

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
kacher I would try either a 158 grain jhp load or a 158 grain lead round nose or a 158 grain lead semi wad cutter load. One of these loads might bring your POI up I hope something works out for you! My LCRX I haven't had any problems but sometimes you have to hold different on the front sight to bring the POI up.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I saw one of those 3" LCRX's at the gun shop last week. I seem to remember it had a very tall front sight. I would expect to shoot low that close. Especially if moving the rear sight isn't affecting POI.
Along with heavier bullets, I'd try shooting it at 15 yds and see if your group isn't dancing all around the bullseye.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got off my duff and got some GECO 158 gn FMJ. Trip to the range today showed no problem with POI although rear sight is up pretty high. Will leave as is. Only 7 yds but that's ok for wife for this gun.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Instead of file the front sight, I bought an LCR 22 front sight ( it's Lower) and installed. Worked great for me, I had the same problem of rear sight adjustment. It was adjusted all the way up to get my shots on target. With the lower front sight, I lowered the back sight to mid level and it feels less wiggly than before.

·
Registered
357 Posts
In my continuing studies of how short barrelled guns fair on targets I have learned that diagnostics should start at the 3 yard line. We can assess ammo and technique from there.

If you're not Jelly Bryce, it won't take long for any problems to show up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I picked up an LCR-X 3" and have had the same shooting low problem.

This used gun had no signs of wear on the outside of cylinder so I did not think it had been shot much. Now I think the original owner did what I did. I assumed the gun was sighted in at the factory during testing. I had been clicking the sight up with no change. Shooting with POA in the center my POI was bottom of the paper at best. I had to aim with the bottom of the white aligned with the 'top of the shoulders' of the Blade to hit the center of the target. Left to right was holding about an 1-2" at seven yards.

I discovered that my used gun had the rear sight screwed in basically all the way down to make it shoot low. Well, the rear sight elevation screw has a great deal of adjustment to it. I unscrewed it all the way. It is really up high now. I have it lowered in just a few clicks so it is not free floating.

I am doing hand loads of 125gr Berry's Hollow Points. I will some over the weekend.

I might order the 22 lower sight if this does not work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took the wife's new LCRX-3 to the range today to adjust rear sight as she was shooting low. Tried adjusting rear sight as I was 2 inches low from a rest at 5 or 7 yds. No amount of adjusting (sight raised to max) would raise the POI, Anyone else have a problem with these sights?
Just purchased the ruger lcrx. 38 special 3"barrel. Have the same problem with it shooting 2" low. Rear sight adjusted as high as will go. Needs lower lcr front sight to solve the problem. Spoke to Ruger a couple of times and explained the problem. They told me that they would not send me the replacement sight because they have to put it on ( something about you need special tools ). But they would sell me the Hi-Viz sight that I could put on myself. I explained that both sights go on the same way. They still said no. VERY MUCH DISAPPOINTED that I have to go through this with a $600. dollar firearm!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts