Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for days .. ok, weeks ..
for a handgun to accompany my rifle (see user name).

I've considered .22 mag (WMR) and .380 ACP (LCP II :eek:).

But now I think, this (see below) could be the one I've been seeking.

I owned a SW .38 airweight with Hogue grips.

This looks even more controllable.

Opinions welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I have 2...in .357 and . 22WMR and love both. My LCRx .357 is in rotation with my LCR.357.

I enjoy both. I primarily carry IWB but have OWB holsters as well
I wanted a 3" barrel to maximize the capabilities of the magnum round.

It's a well made firearm that should bring you a lot of enjoyment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an LCR in .38 and my wife has one in .22 Mag and both are great guns. The York, Pa Gander Mountain is closing and they have guns reduced 30% bringing the price of the LCR and LCRX down to about $350.00. I didn't see any 3" barreled ones though and the only ones left were in .38

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would be tempted to look at a SP101 in the same length ... just gives you the versatility to use 357 along with 38’s.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes the 357 will take 38’s, and the LCRx will likely have a better trigger. The LCR series isn’t as nice looking as the SP101 but man do they shoot nicely.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've owned .357 in the past, but I'm no longer interested in it. I'm feeling these days that .38 is enough for me. Being very proficient with one caliber is more important to me now.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I first found the description and image of that LCRx last night, I instantly thought it was one of the most beautiful, even elegant revolvers I've ever seen. I went to bed thinking that might fade with sleep.

It has not. I have several views rotating as my desktop image. I can't stop looking at it. I've been aware of LCR for a long time -- really since they were first introduced -- but the smaller ones never melted my butter. But this one ...

Alas, it will be a potentially very long time before I can acquire one -- my budget is strained already, and there are numerous other far more pressing items that I need before that.

But one must have goals and dreams, right? :rolleyes:

I'll probably spend much of the weekend watching video reviews about it.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I've owned .357 in the past, but I'm no longer interested in it. I'm feeling these days that .38 is enough for me. Being very proficient with one caliber is more important to me now.
That's what I like about my 3" LCRx.357... I can shoot .38 Special in it all day and should I, by chance, want to run some . 357's thru it... I can.

I also like the all stainless frame giving it the additional weight (21 oz) to absorb recoil.

I carry mine in a Azula IWB holster..works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really hear you guys re the .357/.38 combo. I get it. My favorite of those that I owned was a SW 686 -- 3" barrel, I think (? It's been a long while.) So I respect your choices.

But part of what attracts me to this LCRx is the light weight. Just a few ounces less than a pound. (Funny, I just watched Hickok 45's review of it, and he repeatedly claimed it was less than an ounce! That would be a kicker! :eek: Another reviewer also made a funny booboo when he said that the "x" of LCRx meant it had an external trigger. Opps. Video editing is easy.)

And this is described as a "kit gun", sort of all-purpose for the trail that's suitable for SD. I do as much hiking, backpacking, camping as possible -- in the near future, part of my professional work will involve spending up to months at a time in wilderness -- so having this little lightweight addition to my 10/22 seems like a nice rounded match.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It's another rip roaring Friday night here in small town Maine. So many parties downtown that I was invited to with free drinks and buffalo wings, luminaries and beautiful women <joke :rolleyes:>, but the temps outside are frigid and there's still ice every where. So I've chosen to spend it researching a new (to me) caliber -- .22 WMR (aka mag) -- and its suitability in an LCRx.

I have experience with .38 spl, and am aware of (though far from expert about) its ballistics, penetration, recoil, cost, etc. But I'm finding some compelling interest in .22 mag, which in some ways seems to have been an underestimated round for game and SD that does less damage to game meat while still being relatively effective for SD.

And for someone like me that would prefer one caliber for both rifle and handgun, it's worth considering.

One advantage in this case -- for the LCRx -- is it offers 6 rnds (vs 5 for the .38). But I'm learning that it also has other advantages, and could pair with a .22 mag rifle -- and Ruger makes one, of course. (Example)

Here's the page to the LCRx in .22 mag. Yes, I think I'd prefer the 3" barrel.

Here's one of several interesting -- compelling, provocative -- overviews of .22 mag in general.

Here's Gunblast's review of the smaller LCR in .22 mag.
More to come, I suspect.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I wanted a lightweight hiking revolver and the 3" LCRX fit the activity. I also swapped out the hammer spring from the 10lb to the 7lb from Wolfe, balanced out the revolver nicely. I ordered the Acrion Sport Drop Offset holster from Dara to keep the sweat off the gun as I tend to sweat through my shirts in the triple digit heat in Fl. I like the 38, it just feels right.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Here's Gunblast's review of the smaller LCR in .22 mag. Gunblast's review of the smaller LCR.
More to come, I suspect.
I bought the LCR22 WMR based off the Gunblast review. There were no LCR rimfires in the area to get my hands on but having the LCRx in the 38 I was confident in the purchase. However....at the time of the Review, the trigger spring rate was less than 9lb on the WMR but when mine was shipped the spring rate at already jumped to between 14 and 18lb which makes the lightweight revolver less comfortable to shoot. The heavy trigger for me negated the less recoil of the 38. The ammo cost of the WMR is closer to the cost of the 38 than the LR which was another disadvantage. When I bought the spring packs for my two LCRX's I had a 9lb spring to test in the WMR. I bought cheap box of CCI from Wal-Mart and had about 50-60% ignition but all fired on the second strike. I went back at looked at the data by Gunblast and the ammo he used was all premium ammo. I picked up a couple of brands to test the 9lb but have not had the opertunity to give it another run. So there are advantages to the WMR but for me the heavy trigger and cost of ammo outweighed the caliber.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I have the LCR in 22 Mag. Trigger was very heavy when I first got it but has lighten up over time. My LCR does duty weak side as a BUG and it is fun to shoot.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Ruger has not produced the 327 in the 3" but that caliber makes a lot of sense in the LCR series. A wide range of 32's as well as the magnums are available, the center-fired springs are replaceable and the cylinder is a six rounder. However the 38 is a very good alternative.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DSP and Kenny, thanks for the info on the .22 mag trigger. Noted, and I will pay attention if I go with that caliber. My gun shop is great; they'll order it (if they don't have it) and let me examine it before buying. The owner is also a capable gunsmith and could modify if necessary.

As I wrote last evening, I'm intrigued by an LCRx in .22 mag. I continue to read and watch all the videos I can about that caliber in a revolver (not just LCRx). Verdict is still out and will remain so for the foreseeable future. (Like I wrote much earlier, barring finding a pot of gold, this purchase is WAY off. I'm just in research and dream mode for now.)

And part of me says, this revolver just screams to shoot .38 spl. It almost seems like it was designed for that caliber.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
DSP and Kenny, thanks for the info on the .22 mag trigger. Noted, and I will pay attention if I go with that caliber. My gun shop is great; they'll order it (if they don't have it) and let me examine it before buying. The owner is also a capable gunsmith and could modify if necessary.

As I wrote last evening, I'm intrigued by an LCRx in .22 mag. I continue to read and watch all the videos I can about that caliber in a revolver (not just LCRx). Verdict is still out and will remain so for the foreseeable future. (Like I wrote much earlier, barring finding a pot of gold, this purchase is WAY off. I'm just in research and dream mode for now.)

And part of me says, this revolver just screams to shoot .38 spl. It almost seems like it was designed for that caliber.
The caliber makes sense in a rifle but it's limited in a short barreled handgun. The 38 and 327 I think is best suited to the LCR series.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts