Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an LCRx .357 with 3" barrel. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but I've been dry firing and practicing loading/unloading it the past few weeks. In the process of opening and closing the cylinder, the frame has acquired a rub mark, due to the rear edge of the cylinder rubbing on it when swinging in or out of the frame. The LCR cylinder/crane assembly doesn't have that "bank vault" feel that my GP100 and Redhawk do when closing the cylinder, but I can see that the design of the LCR assembly doesn't afford for that.

My question: is this rub area normal for the LCR, or is my cylinder/crane assembly too loose for a new gun?

Attachments

·
Banned
195 Posts
I have a similar mark on mine. Never even paid attention to it until you brought it up. Sure has not been hurting the performance of the gun as I have put a whole lot of ammo through mine in the past 4 or 5 years. I have no intention of sending it back because of that little mark.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I have the same rub mark on my LCR357 (vintage 2010) and my LCRX357 (vintage 2019). Oddly I do not have it on my LCR22WMR or my LCRX22WMR. Cylinder size in relation to the frame is my guess.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a very small mark in the same spot on my 38spl 3” lcrx. I didn’t even notice it until I read this post and checked. On my gun, it looks like there is some play in the crane before the cylinder is locked in. I think care should be taken when locking in the cylinder. This would probably minimize the problem. That being said, birchwood casey makes a paint pen that is a very good match. I bought one when I first bought my lcrx. My wife put a scratch in another spot, and I used the pen to fix it. It worked great and has held up to this day.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies so far. The cosmetics of the situation don't bother me. I just wanted to know if my LCR's cylinder/crane assembly was excessively loose out-of-the-box. The cylinder does lock up tightly and functions fine, so it seems like it is within normal tolerances, then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought an LCRx 3" .357 mag a couple months ago. It has the mark. From day one didn't like how stiff and sticky opening and closing the cylinder was. Agree it lacks the "bank vault" feel of the GP100/Redhawk. It didn't get better after cleanings and several hundred rounds of .38 Special and .357 Magnum run through it. Actually it got worse to where the cylinder didn't want to swing clear open. Finally today the cylinder would no longer index and lock up. The cylinder freely turns all the time. When this happened now the cylinder opens and closes slick, smooth and solid.

Contacted Ruger Customer Service today and they emailed me a prepaid shipping label right away. It is on its way to repair. I've heard nothing but great things about Ruger Customer Service so looking forward to getting it back all fixed!

Having previously owned GP100's, RedHawks and SP101's trouble free I've been a little disappointed in this LCRx. I guess I expected it to have that Ruger "bank vault" feel. Hoping to really like it when I get it back.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I bought an LCRx 3" .357 mag a couple months ago. It has the mark. From day one didn't like how stiff and sticky opening and closing the cylinder was. Agree it lacks the "bank vault" feel of the GP100/Redhawk. It didn't get better after cleanings and several hundred rounds of .38 Special and .357 Magnum run through it. Actually it got worse to where the cylinder didn't want to swing clear open. Finally today the cylinder would no longer index and lock up. The cylinder freely turns all the time. When this happened now the cylinder opens and closes slick, smooth and solid.

Contacted Ruger Customer Service today and they emailed me a prepaid shipping label right away. It is on its way to repair. I've heard nothing but great things about Ruger Customer Service so looking forward to getting it back all fixed!

Having previously owned GP100's, RedHawks and SP101's trouble free I've been a little disappointed in this LCRx. I guess I expected it to have that Ruger "bank vault" feel. Hoping to really like it when I get it back.
Please keep us appraised of their actions. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Reactions: RFF

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please keep us appraised of their actions. It'll be interesting to see what they do.
Received my revolver back today from Ruger. All fixed. They replaced the cylinder latch spring. They also gave it a detailed cleaning! It looks like it's never had a round through it! Looks better than when I got it new. The cylinder also opens and closes better than when I first got it new. Smoother and seems to lock up more solid. Still have the cylinder mark though.

They received it last Thursday and it shipped back on Tuesday.

I've owned a lot of Ruger's over the years and currently have four. I've never had to utilize Ruger customer service before. I couldn't be happier with the response and service I've received from them.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Received my revolver back today from Ruger. All fixed. They replaced the cylinder latch spring. They also gave it a detailed cleaning! It looks like it's never had a round through it! Looks better than when I got it new. The cylinder also opens and closes better than when I first got it new. Smoother and seems to lock up more solid. Still have the cylinder mark though.

They received it last Thursday and it shipped back on Tuesday.

I've owned a lot of Ruger's over the years and currently have four. I've never had to utilize Ruger customer service before. I couldn't be happier with the response and service I've received from them.
I agree on their customer service being top notch.

Interesting..did they even mention in their notes that it was normal operation?

Granted..it doesn't seem to affect the operation of the firearm...

·
Registered
9 Posts
They didn't mention anything about the mark. I know mine wasn't there when I bought it. Noticed it after a range day.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
They didn't mention anything about the mark. I know mine wasn't there when I bought it. Noticed it after a range day.
It adds a unique character to the gun. Doesn't affect operation. Shoot the snot of it and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It adds a unique character to the gun. Doesn't affect operation. Shoot the snot of it and enjoy!
Overall, it doesn't seem affect the function of the gun right now. But with such a cylinder/crane looseness, I'm wondering if it will get worse. I'm considering sending it in to Ruger, but I've read a few stories of Ruger telling the owner that they cannot "repair" that specific gun, and they'll be arranging to ship (to an FFL) a new LCRx. And with the pandemic conditions, who knows how long the process will take.

My gun needs only about 0.001" more "meat" on the crane pivot area to tighten it up, but the cylinder-to-crane tube tolerance is still fairly large.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts