Ruger Forum banner

Lead 40S&W in Ruger PC4 Carbine

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  3Recon 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone just wanted to share a short Chrono and load report on a MBC 180gr LTC(tapered cone) thru my Ruger PC4GR carbine. Awhile back some of you might recall my chrono range report "http://rugerforum.net/reloading/84456-40s-w-chronograph-pc4gr-carbine.html#post1096790" with a 165gr JRNFP
and my desire to try an 180gr lead bullet using Power Pistol or Accurate No.5. Well I ended up testing the No.5 being it was the only powder of the two that had a slower burn rate and that subject to which powder chart you’re looking at the time. It seems N0.5 kind of moves around from just above Power Pistol to just below a few places which better suited my whish’s. And I'm sure a few of our Ruger family member will show theirs.
To the point Accurate #5 is a fine spherical powder that has no fluffing affect which allows for the longer 180gr bullet to fit the small 40S&W cast with no chance of bullet interference. It measures out consistently which is Ideal. I loaded 5.4 grs. of no.5 @1.120 (Western Powders) printed 871 fps and Chrono @952.6 avg. with a ES of 5.5fps. Carbine cycled all 3 5 round groups. I want to push the veloc. to around 1000fps.around 10mm in pack lead hardness is 18BHN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.