Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to reduce he cost of shooting my sr1911 by going to cast lead bullets. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use them in the sr1911? I know Glock barrels don't seem to like lead (from what I read).
Thanks....

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I've loaded Lead Semi-wadcutters in 200gr for years the loads have been low power loads and balanced with a velocity to reliably function the 1911s I owned, around 790-825fps. I use Winchester 231. I'm not concerned about leading, but I clean the barrel well and run the Lee Lead remover through every few thousand rounds.

·
Banned
619 Posts
Take a dose of Missouri Bullet Co. 200 gr SWCs loaded over 5.6 grains of Ramshot ZIP and call me in the morning. I also use W231 and WST, they won't come close to what you can do with ZIP. ;)

·
Banned
402 Posts
No problem at all as long as the bullets are .001 over groove diameter.
Don't get all hung up on hardness of the bullets, fit is king with lead bullets.
bullets sized to .451 will probly work fine, if you get leading try .452
A 230 round nose should work fine at about 800 to 850 FPS
a 230 grain ball round at 850 is about a match for military ball ammo.
200 grain SWC will work great also, target rounds need not be over 750 - 800 FPS
If you get into it post if you need more help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lead in 1911s

I shoot lead in my Colt 1911 all the time for Cowboy Action Shooting. The reason for not shooting lead in Glocks, and some Kahrs, is they have polygonal barrels, not regular rifled barrels. I shoot Bear Creek moly-coated bullets because they are less prone to leading. As long as your Ruger has a rifled barrel, which I think it does, lead will work. I'd check with Ruger about any warranty issues if it's new, though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I shoot lead in my 1911s all the time. Cut a thread on a copper chore-boy (scrubber for doing dishes) and start to unravel it. Wrap the strand around a copper bore brush many times but not so much that you can't get it down the bore. Scrub your barrel and it will be shiny clean. JMHO

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
For my SR1911 I load 230 gr LRN from Missouri Bullet co with 4.0 gr titegroup , my Chronograph clocks them @ 755fps. I have shot over 2000 so far. I also load 230 gr RN plated Berrys Bullets with same load , they clock @ 784fps.
I have noticed a small amount of leading with the lead bullets after a few hundred rounds . No big deal it comes right out or you could load your last mag at the range with plated or jacketed and most of the time the leading will be gone .
Lead works fine.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
4 grs. of Bullseye and a 225 gr. roundnose copy of the hardball bullet work fine in my 3 1911's. I cast mine from linotype. Have over 3000 rounds through my sr1911 without even a hiccup!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Take a dose of Missouri Bullet Co. 200 gr SWCs loaded over 5.6 grains of Ramshot ZIP and call me in the morning. I also use W231 and WST, they won't come close to what you can do with ZIP. ;)
k57
I notice that the Ramshot load data for pressure, velocity are similar for 200gr LC SWC lead @ Zip, TrueBlue, and Silhouette. Any particular reason for the Zip recommendation rather than TB or S?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
wheel weights quelched in cold water. 200swc White label Lube carnauba red. ( Lymann 4500) or Lee mold (tumble lube design) liquid Alox ( smokes a lot but works) have never had any trouble and myself and brother in law have put 1000's of round down range. I have and Outers foul out system so the small amount of leading is a snap to get barrel clean. I also have a Lee lead hardness tester which comes in handy 15 ton 18

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
That's about all I shoot. Usually a 230 grain truncated cone shape, but recently I tried a 200 grain swc over 4.0 Red Dot. This is perhaps the most accurate load I have shot from a 1911.

·
Registered
6 Posts
any issues feeding with the SWC's? The obvious answer appears to be no based on what everyone is using but any additional guidance on that aspect of bullet selection and what to watch out for? I've used them in different revolvers but always stick with RN on the semi's.

·
Banned
402 Posts
I guess I can say this ONE MORE TIME Eh. the 45 acp does not need a hard bullet,
Air cooled 1/2 ww and 1/2 Pb. work just fine.
Hard bullets are what the bullet makers sell you along with there rock hard lube so they don't deform and look ugly because of a rough ride in shipping.
A bullet well matched to the groove diameter of the barrel, .0015 over groove and any decent lube will not lead. If it did I wouldn't be able to shoot 2 or 300 rounds at a time and only use a dry patch to clean the barrel.
If the feed ramp and barrel throat geometry is adjusted for SWC you should have no problem, and most new pistols are. Look for a # 68 style SWC follow all your safety rules and load some. All you need is 4 grains of bulls eye for a very accurate nice shooting target bullet. Yes there are many other powders that work, but that's a good place to start. Don't anticipate huge problems, it's not rocket science. the most important aspect as you know is to be safe and have fun, heavy on the safe.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
SWC bullets shouldn't be a problem in your 1911. They can be in some of the smaller pistols. I have a kahr CW45 that won't feed them at all.

·
Banned
619 Posts
k57
I notice that the Ramshot load data for pressure, velocity are similar for 200gr LC SWC lead @ Zip, TrueBlue, and Silhouette. Any particular reason for the Zip recommendation rather than TB or S?
pell, I prefer ZIP in .45 ACP because it will cover a very broad spectrum of loads. For defense type loads you can get factory velocity or better while you will still get excellent results with light LSWCs and other lead loads. It's burn is close to W231 but Zip is more versatile and burns cleaner. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For my SR1911 I load 230 gr LRN from Missouri Bullet co with 4.0 gr titegroup , my Chronograph clocks them @ 755fps. I have shot over 2000 so far. I also load 230 gr RN plated Berrys Bullets with same load , they clock @ 784fps.
I have noticed a small amount of leading with the lead bullets after a few hundred rounds . No big deal it comes right out or you could load your last mag at the range with plated or jacketed and most of the time the leading will be gone .
Lead works fine.
I have been using the 230 RN from Berrys and they work great. Thanks for the load data for the 230 grain. I'll give them a try.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I am looking to reduce he cost of shooting my sr1911 by going to cast lead bullets. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use them in the sr1911? I know Glock barrels don't seem to like lead (from what I read).
Thanks....
I've shot Missouri Bullet Co. 230gr "softball". I've shot Bear Creek 230gr Moly. I have 500 hard cast from a local dealer. All shoot just fine.

The reason it is inadvisable to shoot lead out of a Glock is because Glock uses a polygonal rifled barrel. Lead + polygonal rifled barrel is not a good idea.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have been using the 230 RN from Berrys and they work great. Thanks for the load data for the 230 grain. I'll give them a try.
Your welcome , I have shot over 2000 (just got my SR1911 in june) of this load in lead and Berrys 230 RN plated and love them. May not change this load it works so well!!
Good Luck and Be safe !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts