Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Condor Zone and have to shoot lead free bullets. Has anyone loaded lead free for a Ruger 44 Mag Carbine

·
Registered
747 Posts
seyahbob,

Welcome aboard!

Glad we are not facing that situation here as yet.

First off, check for availability. The net is a good place to start,

Then again do a search for loading specs.

I can't see why this would be a problem to load, providing one of the manufactures has started to make the lead free bullets in .44

Please post what you find and how it works for the rest of us.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,407 Posts
Barnes makes .429" bullets in 200gr and 225gr ... both are totally lead free ... expensive though ... almost a buck each and that's just the bullets.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Aaaaah yes, Barnes. Didn't even think of them, was thinking of some of the composite non-lead bullets which are pressed together under high pressure.

Think those, if available, might be a little less spendy.

CDOC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not contacted Barns yet, but their loading book does not recomend loading heavy grain bullets for rifles.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I also live in the San Joaquin Valley. Is there a special season on Condors now? LOL!

Seriously, the Barnes are probably your best bet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have not contacted Barns yet, but their loading book does not recomend loading heavy grain bullets for rifles.

The all copper bullets penetrate like heavier regular cup and core bullets. The 200 XPB should work fine for you. I use 225 XPB's in a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt and have never recovered a bullet from a deer. They make a great wound channel too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Like a condor is going to pick up and eat a 300 grain lead bullet! I mean, I can see the problem when using frangible bullets that leave lead fragments in the meat or guts - I don't like eating lead either so I use all Barnes bullets in my high powered rifles even though they are not required in Washington. I even use a 290g Barnes .451 in my 50 cal. muzzleloader - they are extremely accurate in MMP sabots, expand instantly, and kill way quick. I don't use them in my 44 mag, as you simply can't get enough powder in the case to get the velocity you need for decent range and penetration. I instead use 310 grain LFN lead cast bullets, but I can do that in Washington. But obviously you will have to do what you have to do.

Whatever you do, don't use any of the other (Hornady, Nosler, etc.) brands that are made out of gliding metal. They basically will not expand as they are quite a bit harder than copper, and since you are unlikely to get more than a 200 grain bullet in the case without excessively compressing powder, you need that expansion if you are going to kill big game consistently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lead free for 44mag carbine

Thanks to all that posted a response. I appears that I will have to continue to just shoot paper targets. Hopefully someone will wake up and smell the coffee and let us just hunt the way we used to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts