Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what a lot of the first reloading batch looked like. With your guy's help shootable ammo is now coming out of the press.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I now see what I have to look forward to. I have to pick up primers and brass and powder and bullets still. I got the press Friday and just putting the dies in and doing a few simple things reminded me of just how impatient I am. I have a feeling that the press may end up collecting dust. :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday we built a new work/loading bench in the shop and the put together a bunch of 44 rounds for my son. He shot it today and said it feels much better shooting 7 dollar boxes of ammo than those costing 22 or 28 bucks.

We loaded up 240 gr LSWC with 11.2 gr of Unique and CCI large pistol primers.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Holy #@$%, I have squashed my share of cases but you turned some of those JHP into wad cutters. That's one thing I like about the Lee factory crimp die, it doesn't buckle cases.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I now see what I have to look forward to. I have to pick up primers and brass and powder and bullets still. I got the press Friday and just putting the dies in and doing a few simple things reminded me of just how impatient I am. I have a feeling that the press may end up collecting dust. :(
Don't get discouraged. We all started out the same way. I've mangled many cartridges in my time, as I'm sure these other folks have, too. Just read the instructions and if you have any questions, post them here or call the manufacturer. You'll learn patience while you learn to load. It's a great hobby! Don't try to push it. It'll come. You just have to remember that it's one of a few hobbies that can bite back.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
never messed with the lee factory crimp die---still doing it the old way....might have to look into one.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I keep looking at the picture and still don't know how you squashed the noses that badly??? Do you have the proper nose punch installed? I've never used a Lee turret, I believe that's what you said you had purchased. - think I'll stick with my rock chucker.
Just wait until you start loading the .45c with it's little rim.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I keep looking at the picture and still don't know how you squashed the noses that badly??? Do you have the proper nose punch installed? I've never used a Lee turret, I believe that's what you said you had purchased. - think I'll stick with my rock chucker.
Just wait until you start loading the .45c with it's little rim.
Jimbo, et all

When I first put the dies in the press I had absolutely no idea where the starting poit was. As you can see I guessed wrong. Also, knowing nothing, the directions didn't make much sense either. You guys got me pointed in the right direction pretty quickly and things began to fall into place. Just thought I would share pictures of what raw talent can accomplish.

I have the .45 LC dies all set, except for the sizing die that I had to send back to Lee for rework. The seating and crimping dies are all set along with the Auto Disk for charging. After the first 3 days things started making sense and working as advertised. My .45 cylinders even got delivered to their destination after 3 weeks. Life is good.

·
Super Moderator
21,486 Posts
It looks like someone learning to reload to me. What you have there is what we refer to as experience. Look on the bright side now you get to learn how to use your bullet puller.

It's a great hobby and gives us the chance to enjoy our other great hobby/sport shooting and hunting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chance - if you can, find an experienced hand loader where you live and pick their brains. Almost all hand loaders are glad to help a new loader get started and you can save worlds of trouble (and time, hassle and expense).

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
What I had a problem with 45s years ago was a batch were the cases would stick in the die and the rim pulls off because it is so thin. Now that's a real pain too. The carbide sizer took care of that problem, but I still like to use a touch of case lube anyway.
Reading your other posts, all is well and the shooting is good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i am glad you made some progress ! we all wnet through some of that stuff ! i know i did ! One of my first purchases after i got started was an inertial bullet puller ! it paid for itself by saving most of my reject brass and bullets ! Stick to the bulkier powders for a while so there is less chance for a double charge ! Have fun and be carefull! Kevin

·
Registered
252 Posts
A hint that might prevent a lot of the failures pictured:

Always seat and crimp in two separate operations.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The whole thing has smoothed out. The mistakes led to a deeper understanding of the instructions and material in the manuals. Have 200 rds of .357 158gr LSWCs and 180 rds 250gr LRNFP 45 LC ready to go to the range. Have shot 300 rounds of .357 and 50 of .44 Mag with not a single problem after the first batch which had 3 primers not seated fully.

Am not fast but have all the body parts still in the right spot and have a good time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.