Ruger Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm also just getting into hunting...My dad hunted for years never really took me its just something that i want to learn. I've been hunting for 7 years I'm still looking to shoot or bag a pheasant. I want to learn deer hunting last year wife got me a bow for Christmas trying to learn how to shoot it...I do have a little bit of a disability.. Its better for me if i had like a mentor or someone that could take me then i could learn alot more.. I paid someone 500.00 once to take me didnt learn anything 500.00 wasted

·
Super Moderator
21,241 Posts
You could fill a library with how to hunt books. Start with books on terrain and even navigation thru the woods. Getting turned around (we never get lost) is not fun so after firearm safety then figuring out where you want to go and how to get back puts the fun into hunting. Now spend time out in the woods and then you can observe animals and how they act/react. The joy is being out there and seeing how nature interacts, breathing fresh air and enjoying the peace.

Nature will bear the closest inspection. She invites us to lay our eye level with her smallest leaf, and take an insect view of its plain. Henry David Thoreau

·
Registered
78 Posts
Like you, no one in my family hunted. Regardless, when family and other time commitments allowed me to focus on it, I began hunting and killed my first deer at age 45. I have killed one or more in the 20 years since with the exception of 2016 when I killed an elk and had no need or room for more meat. I learned via magazine articles, hunting shows, and by getting into the woods and trying. Midwest deer hunting where farming is row crops (corn, beans, wheat) is not that hard unless you are holding out for trophies. Learn about deer behavior and get out there and try. You may find the hardest part is getting access to private land where your chances of success will be much better.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts