Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I have come up upon two really nice belt holsters that I want to use for OWB carry. However they are very light tan in color and I wanted to know if there is anything on the market that I could use to safely darken the leather on these two holsters so they wouldn't stand out like neon lights?

Please let me know what you would recommend if there is such an item.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
It has been a long time since I did any leatherworking so what is commercially available may have changed. If the leather is still in "natural" condition then you should be able to find a leather stain (will soak in and not rub off) in dark brown or black from a hobby store or "Tandy" store (if they still exist). If the leather has already been sealed or oiled, then I'm afraid that I have no suggestions for you. Others on the board may know of a way to color sealed/oiled leather. Sorry I couldn't be more specific. Good luck.

P.S. Something like this. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/liquids-n/2110-116.aspx

·
Registered
449 Posts
Leather die available in shoe stores. Look in the shoe polish section of most any dept. store.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks misterlarry and Jack D for your feedback! ;)

I will pursue your recommendations. The holsters are not in their "natural" condition I'm afraid. They have been "finished",(sealed & oiled), in their natural tan color but it's a light tan shade. It's not a real big deal but I would like to darken them up a bit, if possible.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Tandy Leather has Leather stains in sever colors and shades.. There is also a rattle can product out there to spray it and is a very good product as well (Sorry Can't remember the name of it)

wPm

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will look for the bottle of dye I used on my motorcycle jacket. (jacket had yellow sections that I dyed black) The yellow did match my VFR, but when that was gone, I went all black. It worked very well.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I've done this with just a quick trip to the local grocery store. Kiwi sells rub on black dye and black shoe polish and leather conditioner (that I dyed with some of the Kiwi black dye). Finally for the first step I used 91% alcohol (not the 70% you usually find). This was to remove the old finish, be it oil, dye, polish. Then after it dries thoroughly I dye it with the Kiwi dye. After that dries I apply a healthy load of black shoe polish. With the polish still on I rub it in with the dyed conditioner. After a good rub down I towel dry the holster and let air dry the rest of the way. Now you'll have a very dark black holster. Smithy.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Smithy!
Sounds like a very do-able procedure!

Was there any re-wetting or smudging of the black shoe polish after the air-drying period once the holster was put to use?

Thanks for that tip! Certainly will keep it in mind...;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Fiebing's leather dye, then some sort of sealant. Tandy sells the stuff online (or in-store) in small bottles that go a long way.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
JK55 there was absolutely no bleed through after the final dry. This is the same thing that I use to do as a youth with my goalie equipment. I could only afford used equipment (leg pads and gloves) as the new stuff cost around six hundred dollars and that was in 1974. It's the same story today, most of the equipment is fairly affordable save the gloves and pads. I recently saw prices up to $1,500.00 for a set of pads. Actually glad none of my kids wanted to follow pop and take up Ice Hockey. Smithy.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Smithy! I'll check that out. ;)

I hear ya about the hockey equipment. I didn't play hockey, I was into baseball and all my gloves were hand-me downs. I had to treat those 2nd hand gloves like they were brand new.

Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts