Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee classic turrent press--worth it?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  deputy125 
#1 ·
Who has one?
Comparing this "classic" cast iron turrent press to the old lee standby aluminum turrent press, do you think that it is a big improvement in function? More leverage? Smoother?

I have used the std lee turrent press kit for years and just wondering if an upgrade is in order. If the only difference is weight, then why bother to change if there is no advantage.

#2 ·
deputy, although I'm sure the Classic is stronger, like you I've been using the older turret press for years and am happy with it. I have heard of breakage and other problems from others but mine is still running just fine. For own my use I didn't much like the auto index, so took it off and use it as a single stage but with each of the calibers in it's own turret so I don't have to change dies for 9MM. 38Sp, .357 mag, .44 mag, .45 ACP and .45 Colt. To be honest if mine does break down after all these years I think I'd probably buy another 3 hole turret just like it. Maybe I'm more cautious than some, but after dropping the powder I put each case in a loading block to inspect every one before seating the bullet. May be slower than the setups others use but I'm not a high volume loader and it works for me. I do have one of the little Reloader C presses set up next to it to use the FCD in the calibers I use it for and for odd jobs.
Baker

#4 ·
Ok...after reading through the reloading section here, I am getting the bug. Darn it, now I have to add a new hobby and must...must spend some more money to satisfy this itch. I realize that this is a pretty old post, but I just had to put my 2 cents in after I have been doing a bit of research on reloaders. The Lee turret is made from an A360 alloy of aluminum casting which has a tinsel strength of 46,000 PSI, compared to 28,000 to 30,000 PSI for cast iron. Bottom line: the new Turret is far more stronger than the old cast iron which seems more hardier cuz its weighs a ton. Not so however. The use of light alloy also means improved corrosion resistance and light weight which makes indexing more positive and reduces wear and tear on equipment and operator. I am getting the Lee turret...kind of a Christmas present to myself. Lee is a pretty crafty fellow...eh? I think it will fit my newbie budget...I'll try .38 special and .357 mag at first. Maybe I'll make a few .45 ACP for my PT145...and if I get good, well the ol' M1 Garand would be my final venture.

#5 ·
You will enjoy getting the "bug"!
Yep the old aluminum lee turret has been a good press as has the lee challenger. I've decided that new and improved was not needed as old and reliable has worked just fine so i've passed on the iron "classic". Guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.

#7 ·
I had to revive this older thread. I already owned two of the older Lee turret presses, but decided a year ago I needed to try the new Classic Turret. It is a very much stronger press, and not really needed for handgun cartridges. However, it really does a job of catching spent primers IF the priming arm is left in place. Since I owned a dozen of the older 3 hole turrets with dies already installed, I simply swapped out the top from one my 3 hole turrets with the 4 hole top on the Classic. It takes about 30 seconds and reverses just as quickly if desired.

#8 ·
You all will probably LYAO but I have a plastic kitchen garbage can that's just high enough to miss the press handle when it's down and and narrow enough to sit between my legs. I use a few sheets of newspaper propped on each side with ammo boxes on the under shelf to form a bit of a funnel. It sure aint new fangled technology but it catches almost all of the primers.:D
Baker

#9 ·
Helps to avoid the cranky wife syndrome that is directly related to the sound of spent primers getting sucked up in the vacum cleaner.[:eek:)] [:eek:)]

#11 ·
What's the advantage of the Lee Classic Turret press over a simple single stage press?

#12 ·
I've been handloading for about a year, and I use the Lee Classic Turret press. I love it! I can reload about 250 rounds of .45 Colt in an hour. That's a lot more than you could do with a single stage press.

#13 ·
quote:Originally posted by Capn

What's the advantage of the Lee Classic Turret press over a simple single stage press?
Capn, I use my older turret press as a single stage . The biggest and best advantage in my opinion is to have extra turrets with dies already set up for each of the calibers you load for. Makes things a lot faster not having to change and fiddle with dies.
Baker

#14 ·
quote:Originally posted by Capn

+1 on the speed/ease of caliber conversion

also there is the speed/volume of ammo produced.

plus it is very easy to use a turret press as a single stage. No additional equipment or add-ons necessary to convert/use a turret press as a single stage press.

Not so going the other way and converting a single stage press. It takes a substantial purchase of a conversion kit to change a single stage press into a progressive. And a lot of down time doing the conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.