Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that many owners of the Lee Classic turret press opened up the hole in the ram to avoid the problem of primers clogging it up. I just purchased this press and was ready to do the same, only to discover that the hole was already close to 5/16" in diameter. Isn't this big enough to pass large primers, or is a bigger hole necessary?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
No problems with mine either...

The only problem is with the priming arm itself if you use the autoprime gizmo. Sometimes you need to polish the rough sports off the priming arm in order for it to time correctly.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't know why it should clog, except as an occasional fluke or if excess oil was used to lube the ram, that caused it to gum up with burnt primer residue. That's a huge pipe for primers to drop through. I hear a primer drop through every time into my waste basket. I like to keep a small can of compressed air like you get at Radio Shack to occasionally blow debris out of places like that. That's the simplest and most efficient priming press-mounted system I've ever used. By the way, if you suddenly have trouble priming, or the priming arm isn't clearing the shell holder, the spring cup has gotten cocked sideways. Just press the spring loaded cup down and clear out any slivers of brass or powder debris that may have gotten trapped between the priming ram and cup and you'll be back in business.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Never have had any issue with mine either, but i clean it about weekly and re-lube it. The press just seems to get pretty nasty when I deprime everything.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've read that many owners of the Lee Classic turret press opened up the hole in the ram to avoid the problem of primers clogging it up. I just purchased this press and was ready to do the same, only to discover that the hole was already close to 5/16" in diameter. Isn't this big enough to pass large primers, or is a bigger hole necessary?
Only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for anything you get from the internet.

Verify for yourself everything you get from casual sources.

Lost Sheep.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Have loaded many different calibers & never had a problem with mine...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for anything you get from the internet.

Verify for yourself everything you get from casual sources.

Lost sheep.

Amen!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts