Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use Lee Liquid Alox bullet lube? I just used some on the .455 LRN bullets I had cast, and let them air dry, on a sheet of waxed paper. They still feel tacky to the touch, and hey do not look like there is a very thick coating on them. Is this normal, or did I do something wrong....Robin

·
Registered
649 Posts
Normal depending on relative humidity for the LLA not to become waxy-dry for a couple of days...Overnight is usually good enough for loading...They seem to dry faster if you cut the LLA with a little bit of mineral spirits...

Some people dip in LLA, some tumble in a Ziplock bag, while others roll them around in a plastic dish...I use the plastic bag...

Some people do two coats...

Whatever works for you...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I use Alox in a mixture I found online. 45% Alox, 45% JPW (Johnson paste wax), 10% OMS (odorless mineral spirits). I use 100 milliliters of Alox, 100 mL of JPW and 22mL of OMS. Melt and mix in a double boiler set-up. Don't let it get hot enough to smoke. A little Alox goes a long way. A light coat is all that is required. There are a few really good youtube videos on how to apply tumble lube. This 45/45/10 works great for my .40 S&W and .38 spl LSWC-TL boolits. I still get significant leading on .44 mag, but not .44 spl with my RH. I will be casting a new .44 mag boolit with gas checks and use a DARR lube recipe to see if that takes care of the leading. Good Luck:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sorry, I should have stated not to add the mineral spirit until the Alox and JPW is liquid and mixed and you have removed the mixture from the heat source. I would also avoid open flame heat when using mineral spirits.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been using the Lee Liquid Alox as my bullet lube for quite a while now. I cast my own bullets and use the LLA as the lube. I don't claim to be an expert but this is what works for me. I have found as mentioned that it you thin it with some mineral spirits it coats the bullets better and dries to a less tacky condition. I add a teaspoon of mineral spirits to each 4 oz. container of the LLA. Each time before I lube some bullets I will heat the bottle of LLA in a cup of hot water to help thin it even more. When it is warm I will shake the container to mix it up. A handful or two of bullets are placed into a plastic container and then the LLA is dribbled onto the bullets. Don't use too much. They get a good swirl in the plastic container to cover all of the bullets and then they go on some wax paper sheets I have laid out on the bench. The next day they are ready to go. I have found with the LLA that less is better when you apply it to the bullets. If you put too much on it will not dry and remains very tacky. You are better off applying two thin coats to the bullets than one heavy coat allowing drying time between applications. That 4 oz. container of LLA will lube a lot of bullets this way. I cast bullets for 357 mag, 30-30 Winchester, and 45-70. None of these are pushed to the limit and my process works for me.

Cary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts