Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the Lee Loader 45ACP with .451 Rainier 200gr SWC.

Has anyone used this loader with .452 plated, e.g. Berry .452 200gr SWC?

If you're not familiar, this kit does not expand the case mouth, but relies on chamfering for bullet entry. With chamfering, the .451 is a snug entry.

Not to be impolite, but, since I'm going to order 500, I would prefer to hear what you know, not what you think.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The Lee loaders work fine. Loaded hundreds of rounds. I started with one for .357 early 70's and yes it was a tight fit. Loaded them on the kitchen table. Slow going but worked. Looking back now, how I had never weighed any loads just used the dipper with the powder listed. (young and dumb) please do yourself a favor and use a set of scales.
I know some guys that never use a crimp (taper not a roll) on a 45ACP, so if it's a tight fit you may not need to crimp..?

This is what I know about the Lee hand loader.
Good luck and be safe !

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I've loaded alot of .44 Mags with one years ago. I don't think I ran onto any problems other than it was slow. You can always flare the case mouth with something else that's tapered, but that may not let the case back into the seating chamber? I don't remember any problems with mine, though it was in '64.
Frank

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check with Lee. They used to (and still may) make a cartridge expander for the Lee Loader. It looks like a solid metal loaded cartridge with a slightly small bullet with a shoulder on it. Put it in the case, tap with hammer and it's expanded. I have one for both of my loaders.

Ed

·
Registered
283 Posts
I spent many evenings back in the 70's pounding 45 cases into and out of a Lee Loader. Good times! My son told me a coupla years ago that is one of his fond childhood memories.

Use the dipper. I still use the Lee dippers to load my 308 match loads. The only time I use a scale is when I'm working near max loads in my Ruger 45 Colts.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks to all who have read and posted, but I think that I should rephrase my question.

I am currently loading .451 plated bullets using the Lee Loader and find them to be a snug entry. I am interested in loading .452 plated bullets, but I am concerned that the additional 0.001 inch diameter will result in damage to the plating on entry. So, I asked if anyone here had loaded plated .452.

Ed Hill - The expander is supplied with several of Lee's other cartridge kits, but is not supplied nor is it intended for use with 45ACP. With the other cartridge kits, you use the expander and then apply a rudimentary crimp with the Lee Loader "die". There is no crimp function designed into the .45ACP "die". The .45ACP kit relies on chamfering the case mouth to allow starting the bullet.

I've contacted Berry's sales folks and have requested a few of their .452 bullets to test fit. If they respond, I'll post results.

General Note - I use the Lee Loader in 45ACP and 357Mag. It is simple and suits my current requirements. Dipper charge validation is with a Lyman Pro 1000 which is, in turn, validated with a commercial weight set.

Again, thanks to all who've read and posted.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
The lee loader si fine for reloading for any gun as long as you use the rounds for that gun it is difficult to get rounds resized enough to use in multiple guns.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lee loader si fine for reloading for any gun as long as you use the rounds for that gun it is difficult to get rounds resized enough to use in multiple guns.
bwinters: I suspect that you're talking about long guns. The Lee Loader for long gun cartridges only resizes the neck (if I recall correctly) of the case, leaving the body fire-formed to the gun's chamber.

Doesn't matter with revolvers and pistols ... the loader in 357Mag and 45ACP does, essentially, a full case resize. Plenty of room in a revolver chamber and I regularly mix 45ACP cases between a BH and SR1911.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks to all who have read and posted, but I think that I should rephrase my question.

I am currently loading .451 plated bullets using the Lee Loader and find them to be a snug entry. I am interested in loading .452 plated bullets, but I am concerned that the additional 0.001 inch diameter will result in damage to the plating on entry. So, I asked if anyone here had loaded plated .452...
It's not going to be a problem and it won't make a difference that you can tell in any way. The bullet's trip down the bore will smooth everything out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts