Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What a find! I posted searches on eb and GB auction sites several weeks ago, looking for a Lee Custom Engineering Pistol Machine Rest, and two weeks ago, one popped up!

Not only the rest, in perfect condition, but also the following collection of pistol adapters:

1911 .45 ACP
S&W 39
Colt SAA
Colt .22 pistol
High Standard .22 target (fits Ruger .22s !!!)
S&W K Frame
Browning Hi-Power

Back in the 70s, I obtained one for my police department for testing of ammo, and had become very familiar with how terrific and easy they worked, at a small fraction of the cost of the Ransom Rest. In fact, the list price was cataloged at $26.00 plus $15.00 for each pistol adapter. That comes to $131.00 in 1970s Dollars.

I just paid $108.00 plus $13.00 S&H for the entire works, which ain't bad in 2012 Bucks! There was no bidding pressure at all, so it appears that few people know what they are.

I've posted a YT video that can be found showing me testing it with my Ruger New Vaquero .44 Special and Ruger MKII Government.
http://youtu.be/pH_s12UKak4 I did that video at the last hour of the day with fading light, hurried, so I'll do more later.

The Colt SAA adapter fit my Vaquero after I ground out some small recesses on each half of the aluminum clam shell with a Dremel cutter wheel to allow for the mainspring buffer width. With the design of the Ruger coil main spring assembly, the lower 1/4-20 set screw cannot pass through the adapter, but it's so ridid with the top one alone, along with the frame pin to position it, that all shoots perfectly.

The auto adapters are extremely simple and consist of a piece of aluminum bar stock appropriately angled, that is retained with an angled set screw that exerts pressure along the magazine well, and is reached by removing the left pistol grip panel. The video shows all that. I can't wait to try it on my 1911!

These are out there. You simply must post searches and wait patiently, and be willing to bid seriously. The adapters are simple and can be made by any machine shop.

I'm one very happy guy. Now time to cast up some more boolits. :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts