Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reloading for a long time, over 20 years. Have used a Lee "Perfect" powder measure for awhile now. It works pretty decent with powders such as IMR 3031 and 4064, but does not work worth a hoot with ball type powders, as the powder literally will pour out the side of the measure. I guess cheaper is not always better. Hate to spend what RCBS or Hornadys measures cost, but looks like I might have to.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Funny thing is, that the RCBS and Redding powder throws don't work very well with stick powders, they have a tendancy to break the powder up. Keep the Lee for throwing stick powders, trust me on this. Les

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Violator is right on that gunman. My RCBS drops ball with remarkable consistency. It does pretty well on stick powder, but does try to chop some. My favorite for pistol and ball powder is an old Pacific with brass bushing of various sizes. It is spot on every time. Only problem is that sometimes you want a load that falls between bushing sizes. Usually works out pretty well though.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, you guys hit the nail on the head. I bought the RCBS measure, and it is a joy with ball powder, but it sucks with stick powders. The Lee does better with my IMR powders. You would think as much as it costs it would work with anything. Oh well, I always wanted one, and now I got one.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
yep ya would think it would pal.

·
Super Moderator
21,420 Posts
I have an old RCBS and ditto on the IMR powders but works great on others. Look at the used market for a RCBS thrower as they will last for decades.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.