Ruger Forum banner

Lee pro 1000 primers

6K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Slagathor 
#1 ·
I've tried a couple other forum sites and I'm still looking for some help. I recently bought a Lee pro 1000, and when I started reading the instruction manual I noted that the book says to only use CCI or Rem. primers. Seems that all I have are Fed. and Win. in all sizes. I'm hesitant to set the loader up and use it because of the "Safety" warning. In gleaning the info from the various sites I've noted that some of the loaders are using the Win. primers, with no mention of problems associated with a safety issue. Now the question, is there anyone out there with knowledge/experience regarding using the Fed./Win. primers in the press. Since it's impossible to swap out the primers I'm seriously looking at returning the loader to Cabela's and getting something I can use. Any input or suggestons would be appreciated. Thanks!

#3 ·
I run a lot of Tula primers thru mine without issues. The one thing I've noticed is that if the primers don't fill the slide completely, then they will not be in a proper position to seat in the casing. I tap the primer reservoir on occasion to keep the feed ramp full.

#4 ·
I couldn't get a definitive answer as to the "safety" aspects of the fed/win primers in the Pro 1000. Yes, I understood the problem with keeping the primer tray atleast partially full so that the weight of the primers could push the next primer into position, and also the need to keep the prime channel/feed mechanism clean to ensure good feeding of the primers. That wasn't the issue since those primer feed problems occurred (as stated in many blog comments) with the CCI and Rem. primers too. I'm just going to send it back and save some more bucks to buy something I can use with my primers.

#7 ·
Those primers can't be too different in size or they wouldn't fit in the cases. Sounds to me like Lee wants to sell primers.

In my experience I no longer trust all things Lee. Too many problems and drama that I don't need.

#8 ·
1911/twoboxer/spike. You say you've used them with no problem (or small primer feed problems), but you didn't address the manufacturer of primers you were using. Were they either Fed. or Win. primers. Those are the only two Lee says "DO NOT USE". And I too have used the Lee and RCBS hand primer tools with ALL makes/mfgr. of primers (in fact just loaded some more last Friday), and have never had the first problem wth them. According to the Lee technician I talked with last Thursday he related that using them in the turret press wasn't a problem (but couldn't tell me why, maybe a different type of feed system). Just that it's a "safety issue" with the pro 1000.

#9 ·
Fair enough, I've used some Remington that I got from my late father-in-law that were quite old but worked fine. But for the more part I've used CCI for everything including #34 #41 (?) for 5.56 and 7.62 NATO reloads.

I DO use a Lee primer simply because it came in a used package deal of a reloading setup when I was just staring out. But I've had to change 2 of their 'special' 'primer' only heads for being out of spec and when I went to their new primer tool I then had to go to their new cover design to keep the primers from falling out when using it. I could go on....

#10 ·
Spike12; So you were actually using the types of primers that the Lee folks say you must use in the Pro 1000 - CCI and Rem. If I had CCI or Rem primers I wouldn't have an issue. Unfortunately all I have are Fed. and Win., and with the shortages now I can't obtain the CCI or Rem. primers. Thus my dilema. So unless I can find a progressive press (that I can afford) I'm pretty much stuck with my Lee and RCBS rockchucker ram presses. That makes for a lot of hours at the bench for my 9mm and 45 ammo, and I was hoping to avoid that.

One other point, my lee Auto Prime brochure is different and says to only use CCI and Win. (instead of CCI and Rem. as stated in the Pro 1000 pamplet). I would think that if the Win primers were good-to-go with the auto prime tool then they would be acceptable for use with the other tools. Anyway, I appreciate your efforts to help me with my situation. Thanks

#11 ·
Now I don't have any kind of progressive press, I batch load everything. But i do know from experience that CCI primers are way harder than Federal. The cups must be compounded out of a different type of metal. Anyway, it seems like softer primers could deform more easily in the priming mechanism, and that could be the reason Lee is concerned about using softer primers in their press. Just a thought.

#12 ·
Bagpipe bob: Thanks, You're the first that has provided a "possible" reason for the safety warning. I suspected that there was a difference nin hardness between pistol and rifle primers because of the different striking power of the firing pin (as stated in numerous blog comments). And that it's possible to change firing pin springs to compensate for that. But it never occurred to me that the thicker (or differently constructed) cup would make a difference in the primer seating operation.

#15 ·
Get the Lee Hand Primer. I use it all the time and like it better because you can feel the primer seat. Winchester primers work in my 4 hole Lee Loader, but the hand held is better.

Also get the Lee reloading book. It will answer questions you have not even thought of yet.

#16 ·
Federal uses a "different" priming compound than any other primer manf. that I know of.

Their compound is much easier to ignite.

The answer to Lee's warning can be 3 fold.

1. Only use recommended primers.

2. Get a Lee blast shield. I haven't hear of one in a while (2 yrs or more). Don't know if they're still available.

3. Use great caution. Federal primers, if detonated irresponsibly can cause a chain combustion, hence the warning.

With the scarcity of primers, I think 2 or 3 are your only options.

#17 ·
Kz-1000
As stated. I'm using the lee auto prime and the RCBS = all the time. and I agree, they're easy tools. I was just trying to save time with a progressive, and I know that you can "skip" the priming stage by pulling the decapper pin, hand priming, then continuing the progressive loading from there. That makes it a two stage press, and I'm not sure how much faster that would be over my rockchucker. Still nothing from any blog where someone can assure me that they've been consistently using Fed. or Win. primers in the Pro 1000. Thanks for your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.