Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AM CONTEMPLATING BUYING A LEE PRO 1000 RELOADER IN 45 ACP. DOES ANYBODY THAT ACTUALLY OWNS AND USES ONE ON A REGULAR BASIS HAVE AN OPINION ON THE RELIABILITY OF THIS PRESS.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used 1 for several years.
The weak point was the primer system.
I don't know if they ever improved it.
It did seem to feed large primers better.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I had one a long time ago I got ridd of it it didn't hold up for me. Maybe they have improved them by now.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I had one and it was nothing but a headache. I was tring to set it up for .45ACP only. It never did run over about 20rds without flipping a primer, seating a bullet to low or not enough, powder charge varying by as much as .5gr or crushing a case. I know there is a lot of guys who like them and have no problems but I'll stick to my SDB Dillon which I have run thousands of rounds through with out a problem. JMHO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. This helps in my buying decision.

·
Registered
704 Posts
This question/debate comes up as often as new reloaders decide to try progressive reloaders. Guys have used the Pro-1000 for years trouble-free. Others have had nothing but trouble. I've used mine to load 9mm, .38/.357, .45acp and .45Colt since 1988.

BUT, I enjoy tinkering with small block Chevy's and Quadrajets. If you're more of a Fuel-injection turn-key kind of guy, go with the BLUE...... :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 Lee 1000's with shell plates for .32, .357, .41, .44, .45. I use them in 2 operations. One to size and prime and the second to load powder and bullet. So everything goes in twice. That way if the primer screws up you don't get a load of powder in the press. The primer will screw up! That said I just bought a Hornady Lock-N-Load. WOW! what a difference. Plus you buy one this year and you get 1000 free Hornady bullets. I also have a Hornady Pro-Jector I picked up at a gun show couple weeks ago. Both great. The 2 Lee's just gather dust now.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,417 Posts
All my Lee equipment took a trip to the gunshow and didn't return. RCBS & Dillon for me.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Good stuff rcbs and dillion. But my lee turret and challenger are still giving good service. Never got into the 1000 series but heard they were tempermental.

Dillon does seem to have the high hand nowadays in progressive sales--they earned it from what i hear about their high quality and customer service. But to get rid of my lee turret right now would be like shooting my dog---can't do it!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have a Redding love it, some day a Dillon.

·
Registered
402 Posts
HAVE BEEN USING A LEE LOADMASTER FOR ABOUT 10 yrs. now . Approx 110,000 rounds loaded, good machine but nearly vertical learning curve, once learned, great production rate, and superb customer service, even had John Lee take my call for help once.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a Lee 1000 setup for .357 Mag and while there are times it needs attention, I don't think it's out of the ordinary. When I first started using it, the primers didn't feed right but I had to learn how to use it. Nothing I couldn't figure out. We're reloaders here, we obviously like to tinker anyway.

By the way, I'm getting another Lee 1000 for the .45ACP I'm purchasing in 2008.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
P95FAN, I suggest a Dillon either Square Deal(if you are just going to load one caliber) or the 550 if you will want to change over to other calibers. They cost more money, but are very reliable. Dillon also has one of the best customer service systems in existence. Frank

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nothing but a headache here too

Ditto the problem priming for me.

IMHO, Lee stuff is cheap to buy cuz its cheaply made. I have used Hornady, RCBS, and Dillon products and like all three brands much better. You pay a few bucks more, but it is worth it in the long run.

Shooter429

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks For All The Input.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hate to bring the old thread back but I need some advice.

I have a Lee 1000 pro that works great. Except for that primer getting turned and powdering being dropped.

I understand there is a learning curve. Can one of you that have been around that curve advise me on dealing with that primer?

I have some good loads out using it until that primer problem seemed to put a halt to it.

tk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just went through the same question myself. This thread seems representative of the answers you will get when you research beyond this site. In the final analysis I bought a Dillon. In my experience I generally get what I pay for.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The big hang-up to the Pro-1000 is the primer feed chute. If you can keep it full, gravity will keep the primers right side up. (if the index timing is correct per manual) And if you keep the shell plate and carrier clean from powder spills. Some guys have taken apart the primer feed chute and removed any small molding burrs.

You may even benifit from a more vigerous up-stroke to help shake the primer tray and improve feeding. Just one more reason that so many folks are swearing-off of Lee progressives.

I try to stay out of the pissing contests and avoid adding fuel to any on-going flames here, but it's pretty slow at work this morning.... :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use a Lee Turret press, but I decap on a single stage press and reprime with a lee hand prime.
This method is a liitle slower but works great for me on .38/.357

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
i have a 45 357 and 9mm , and as you some say they do have problems now an then as anyone but all i can swing at the time , and they load good for me , the 45 acp i hardly ever have problems with ,i take my time watch it close and its goo, still beats single stage loading of pistol ammo

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.