Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Reloader Press is Lee's entry-level single stage.

I purchased one Nov '12 and, as shown @ the url above, the seating surface for the die locking ring is not machined flat. This is not a problem if one is using the Lee O-ring style die rings, though the rough surface will chew on the o-rings. In changing to a split cross-bolt die locking ring, though, I found the unmilled mating surface to be problematic.

It is a simple matter to hand flatten the mating surface with a well-chalked file.

·
Reloading Addict
10,713 Posts
I have that press on my bench mounted right beside my Breachlock press. I use it for flaring and charging, it works great. Just keep it cleaned and oiled and it should last a long time.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
k57

It was a 5 minute fix. The post was just a heads up to anyone moving away from the o-ring dies.

If you look at Lee's single stages, you'll notice that the entry-level reloader is unique in having an unmilled die lock mating surface. I suspect that they're relying on the o-ring seating to forestall problems with it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jwh321

It's cast aluminum and fairly sturdy for handgun rounds. I do not load for long guns, so I wouldn't presume to comment on it's suitability for that use.

As an entry level press, there are limitations. On my unit the ram is not quite registered with the die threads so each case needs to be guided slightly as it enters the die. I don't find that inconvenient or objectionable.

It's a good first press that can be dedicated to a support role if/when you move along to a more capable press. A lot of folks use one with a universal decapper to deprime everything before tumbling.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The Reloader Press is Lee's entry-level single stage.

I purchased one Nov '12 and, as shown @ the url above, the seating surface for the die locking ring is not machined flat. This is not a problem if one is using the Lee O-ring style die rings, though the rough surface will chew on the o-rings. In changing to a split cross-bolt die locking ring, though, I found the unmilled mating surface to be problematic.

It is a simple matter to hand flatten the mating surface with a well-chalked file.
I think the first few posts took your last line as a question, not an assertion of your experience.

My friend and I got two of those (they came free when we bought a couple of Lee's loading manuals). I gave mine away to another friend who had no press. My first friend used his to load 45 ACP and 500 S&W while he waited for his Lyman press. Afterwards, he mounted a powder measure on it. Eventually, he tripped one day and fell against it; snapped it off at the base. A Lee retailer I was dealing with at the time said they would replace it if we sent it to them (Factory Sales, even though they had not sold it in the first place). THAT is SOME warranty! But he had already recycled the aluminum, so we never got a chance to verify it.

Functional press. Marginal, but will do if it is all you can afford.

Lost Sheep

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.