Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never hunted before with a PISTOL, but usually any time I would go out with my rifle or slug gun I usually have a sidearm with me. I understand that the most popular bullet is something hard cast for max penetration. But from what I've seen, these Lehigh Xtreme penetrators can do exactly what they are made to do and do it very well. In addition to this, their phillips head design is supposed to create somewhat of a pretty decent wound channel and it does just that from the video I've seen from TNoutdoors9.

What do you guys think of using these as a pistol hunting round? Lets say if youre hunting Whitetail with a 357; instead of using a 180gr hard cast, you could instead use a 158gr one of these bad boys and get some extra velocity out of it as well. This is probably assuming that you load your own ammo with a good dose of powder behind it...

Here is a link to the Lehigh page
Xtreme Penetrator ? Lehigh Defense, LLC

Here is TNoutdoors9 review on it. Granted its 9mm, you can get the idea of what it does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLbmSp5itA

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It looks like their .357 Magnum load is a 140 grain bullet going 1250'/sec out of a 4" barrel.

For comparison, Buffalo Bore's 180 grain LFN is going 1375'/sec out of a 4" barrel.

(One thing that I've read and agree with is for a dedicated hunting revolver in 357, a 6" barrel is necessary to get the full velocity potential out of the round.)

Watching that TNoutdoors video, there seems to be a very small wound channel both permanent and temporary. I haven't seen a gel test on a 180 grain flat nose bullet, but I'm willing to bet it leaves a larger temporary and permanent wound cavity than that Lehigh stuff.

(Has anyone ever seen a gel test on 180 grain LFN 357? I can't seem to dredge one up on the interweb.)

For deer hunting, you are probably better off with a 158-180 grain JSP (or JHP) as they will give you a bigger hole and are quite suitable for deer. A hard cast 180 grain would also work.

Those Lehigh just don't seem like good hunting ammo to me. A small hole and complete pass through doesn't sound like a good plan. A JSP would cause a whole lot more disruption in my estimation.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Looks more like a tool for penetrating barriers to me, Lehigh's has expanding bullets, but they;re really pricey. Many good choices out there - just remember that the faster a projectile sheds energy the better it kills. That;s why cheapo remington core-lokts have their reputation of quick kills.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The design of the Lehigh bullet would probably be effective as a self defense round but would not be a legal hunting round in any state. Every state prohibits the use of full metal jacket bullets, for hunting, and that is what they appear to be. There might be an exception if wild boars are considered pests, and not game animals. Check your state DNR regulations.........robin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts