Ruger Forum banner

181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know if others think its appropriate but I worked in a Maximum Security Penitentiary for 24 years. Not a Cop you say? Right! Cops get a break, we have to put up with the scum of the earth our entire shift everyday we work from the time we check in to the time we check out.

Cops, on the other hand, at least get a donut break every now and then ;)

Cops get a sense of accomplishment by helping a lost child or a crime victim, we on the other hand get to listen to the criminal snivel cause he didn't get a fair break by the judge and doesn't understand why he cant have fresh sheets everyday....

It is a great moment when you leave through those steel gates knowing your going home and he's staying though.

Cops bust'em...we keep'em.
I think it is completely appropriate. Law enforcement is law enforcement and you enforced the order of the court!
Gabby, LEO Back in the '70's

·
Registered
123 Posts
Retired from Corrections in 2012. 4 years at California Correctional Institution (CCI) in Tehachapi CA. then 4 years at California State Prison (CSP-C) at Corcoran, Ca. then finished up the last 18 years at Pleasant Valley State Prison (PVSP) in Coalinga, Ca.

Pleasant Valley was when the state was in one of it's warm and fuzzy moods (can't remember which governor) and had started letting the local communities name their own Prisons. A different world.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Mostly a sworn firefighter/paramedic (8 yrs reserve, 22 years paid): also Calif. SFM Fire Investigator II, w/ P.C. 832 arrest/search/seizure powers when working arson. DOJ-approved LEO firearms/chemical agents training.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
And thank you all for your service!!!!!#

·
Registered
1 Posts
Marines

Mostly a sworn firefighter/paramedic (8 yrs reserve, 22 years paid): also Calif. SFM Fire Investigator II, w/ P.C. 832 arrest/search/seizure powers when working arson. DOJ-approved LEO firearms/chemical agents training.
Have you instructed any CBRNE response training in your course of duties? Specifically with the USMC?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Thanks to all of you. You have a difficult and often thankless job.

I would like to say a few things and dont take this wrong, please. I support the Police. We see lots of anti police sentiment these days and I have a theory.

Legislators have put the responsibility on you all to enforce morality laws, such as use and possession of a controlled substance, gambling, etc. Obviously, these laws do not work nor should they, what one does with their own body or money is of no concern to anyone but them. Laws still should apply to endagering others, driving under the influence etc. More people are realizing what a complete failure the war on drugs has been. Thats not your fault, you weren given an impossible task.

The militarization of police forces to fight the drug war was a mistake. From what I have seen that is the primary use of the equipment the government supplied is used for and the occasional active shooter or hostage situation, which would be perfectly acceptable if that were its primary reason for and use. Raiding a home with military style tactics because they might resist is absurd. It makes assumptions. If a suspect has a history or resistance and violence toward Officers that wwould be a risk worth using such tactics. Surround and announce would be a better policy. Is the bit of narcotics they may flush really worth the risk to them and yourselves, I dont believe so. Officers need more deescalation training, instead of relying on force to control a sutuation. Some departments are in the process of studying with Scottish officers , if I recall correctly, in these tactics. This would lead to less shootings and excessive force complaints. It would also give officers time to determine if a person may be suffering a medical condition and not just ignoring them. I am not advocating that you must put yourselves in excessive risk to do this. Just if possible try to deescalate first. Civil asset forfeiture needs to stop. It is an affront to due process and COTUS. It should be used when truly justified. Such as when suspect is found guilty and then proceeds of the criminal activity can be legally and more importantly Constitutionally taken. To take suspected, sometimes on zero or flimsy evidence, property without due process and make them prove that it is legal instead of the law proving it is illegal is reprehensible. To then allow departments to sell and profit from it is disgusting. Never should there be an incentive for the government to seize property from anyone, much less someone without charging them and obtaining a conviction. It is government theft when used without proving it was used or bought with illegal proceeds.. Police seize more value in cash, cars and orher property than theives steal each year. The militarization also perpetuates the us versus them mentality. Which in a way separates officers from the civilian population they are a part of.

I believe 99% of officers are good and do not break the law or abuse the authority entrusted with them. That 1% does almost irreparable damage to reputation of the Department in which they are employed. The ones who do though break the law, often recieve the so called slap on the wrist. Not always but far too often. This creates distrust with the civilian population. Any officer who commits a crime while on duty, especially a felony should never get a light sentence. They should receive the maximum allowable under law. This should be because they broke the law for one and also tarnished the badge and respect that it deserves. For every law they break, its really two. One is the law itself the other is breaking the oath they took to uphold the law. Also at play in these incidents is the good police who know of an officer who may step over the line not putting a stop to it. Some must know and those that ignore it are also guilty of breaking their oath too. The media loves to drag you all through the court of public opinion everytime they can, so Officers have an intrest in stopping this more than anyone. I do not know how to attempt change this no matter how small the problem is, but I have seen it first hand, choking a handcuffed suspect, filing reports that are false, although some are minor falsehoods, like reporting they had suspect go prone, when in actuality they did not, in that case suspect was cooperative. Regardless, if case went to trial and video surfaced of arrest it would call into doubt everything in the report. Theft of items from suspect, no matter how small in value, last one was a 1921 Morgan Silver Dollar. Seemingly small trivial things really make a difference to public perception also.

Personally, my largest issue with any Police organization is when raids are conducted and pets are shot. This is another reason for surround and announce. Unless it is absolutely necessary. Preventing them from trying to dispose of drugs is not.

Law Enforcement Officer a poor choice of words. Its authoritarian, puts people on the defensive and is not what the role of the Police really should be. Yes uphold laws that are just, those which involve violence or the threat of it. Those that involve theft or destruction of personal or public property and investigate crimes. Of course, traffic code must be abided by because it is a threat to individuals safety, but it should not be used as a revenue stream for the government.
Peace Officer! Now that is perfecr. Keep the peace and protect society. Yes, also enforce laws but primarily keep society peaceful!

Once again, I support you all and Thank You for your service to our community! Stay safe out there. Always respect your fellow citizens rights and keep the Peace :) when you can of course ;)

These are just my opinions and in NO WAY are an attack on your profession or any of you as individuals. If you take it as such, Im sorry, that was not my intent.
When I saw this thead I though maybe I would write a short piece LOL and hear some of the opinions of Officers. I really hope the anti police sentiment fades and goes away, do poeple really think we would be better off without you!! I surely do not!
Even if you disagree and despise me for it, thats fine also. We are all entitled to our beliefs in our great Country, The United State of America.!

Mods, if this is better suited to its own thread, either go right ahead or let me know and will do so. TY

·
Registered
33 Posts
I see that this thread is a few months old but retired Sgt. after 20 years. Firearms instructor, defensive tactics instructor, swat/sniper team leader, dept. armor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Retired after 19 years and blowing out my lower back.

·
Registered
97 Posts
19 years with 6 to go. Turned my son away from an LE career. He's in the Army now going through RASP. Week four and he is the last one left. He's 25 and everyone else in his class was younger. . Even if he doesn't make it through I'm still very proud of him.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Almost 19 years so far. 6 years 4 months 22 days 20 hours to go. But who's counting?

My oldest (25) asked if he should go in this field after college. I said no. So he joined the Army instead. :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Full-time, sworn & paid Peace Officer for the State of California serving in a small mid-state city police department.

(I'm the Driver)

Medically retired in mid-1980's due to an On-Duty wound.

Served 9 years.

No regrets...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am retired after 34 years in the business. I started my career in 1977 working for a small (18 sworn) city PD. In 1980, I switched the local Sheriff's Office (250 sworn). I worked a variety of assignments (SWAT, FTO, Investigations, Firearms Training, Custody, Narcotics, and CSI) over the years and eventually got promoted to Sergeant.

In 1996, transferred to the District Attorney's Office as an Inspector and finished out my career in plain clothes. For the last eleven years, I was assigned to a multi-county, multi-agency task force doing computer forensics (More CSI stuff).....

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Thank you all for your service.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

181 - 200 of 226 Posts