Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got the time today to get out the firing range in Punta Gorda FL, just north of where I live. Ran 6 mags through the P95 I bought about a month ago. It is a used pistol, I picked up for 279, with an extra mag. Old decocker only model, but in really great shape. It fired like a dream. ZERO problems. Most rounds I fired were FMJs, but the last mag, I did run through i ran through a 10 self defense rounds just to make sure that was smooth too. And my initial impression is, WOW, what a great gun. I am comparing it to my cheap Cobra 380 I bought a couple of months back, which was my first auto. I really do not think the recoil is anymore than that cheapo 380.

But my only flub came when I lined up the target with my second mag. I am right handed, so I used my left hand to steady my aim. Like a dumbass, and not thinking I put my left thumb on top of my right hand, the first round fired. I have a big scrape and blood blister fro the slide. :eek:

I wont do that again. :D

But it was worth it. The range was busy, so I only went through one box of ammo in the FMJs plus the mag of hollow points. Nice folks all around. I had a blast.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Ouch! Sometimes the hard lessons are the ones you never forget. I know that from experience. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh and I was impressed by the range. My first time there. Cecil B Webb. I have read some posts from folks in here that they have been there. It used to have a bad rep, but someone got hurt there several years back, and now they have full time people supervising the range. The only thing I saw that made me catch my breath, when I first got there, a young child, (several families there), walked up to the chain that blocked the access path to the target area while the range was hot, and made like she was going to unlatch it. But before I could open my mouth an adult grabbed her by the hand. She looked about 5 or 6. She did have hearing protection on. I was first in the on line spot waiting for a place, and just as I was moving to stop her, her parent was there. There were two guys behind me, about my age, 50 something, poised to do the same thing. When the parent got her, we all stood down and no one said anything, just looked at each other. Grandparent reaction.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ouch! Sometimes the hard lessons are the ones you never forget. I know that from experience. :)

I am pretty good about not forgetting those kind of lessons. The painful ones do that. :D

I am not new to shooting or firearms, but has been a while. When I was younger, I had a revolver for years. Grew up with rifles, shotguns and revolvers. These are my first autos.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The big thing is.......I LOVE my P95. Compared to my cheap 380, it just feels so good to fire, and I had fun.

Florida Suncoast Gun Show is in town this weekend. I was going to go, but my funds are not huge this week, (just paid the bills). So I decided not to go, because I know I would have spent money. I could afford it, but....... I would regret it before the next check came. I want to get my CCW and when I do, I am thinking about getting a LC9. My P95 is going to be my home gun.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
that is a no no! i have a p95 and i share your zeal and praise. sweet machines, they are. Dixie is proud of ruger.

·
Super Moderator
16,203 Posts
T222 ... Congrats on your P95. They are an excellent value (sorry to hear about your thumb :eek:)

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
But my only flub came when I lined up the target with my second mag. I am right handed, so I used my left hand to steady my aim. Like a dumbass, and not thinking I put my left thumb on top of my right hand, the first round fired. I have a big scrape and blood blister from the slide. :eek:
I've been there and probably quite a few others? The only thing hurtin' worse than my web was my pride!!!:eek: Trying to hide the pain is real fun.....:(
Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts