Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bad, I let my CCW expire. Went to my LGS to buy a new carry. Walked in all smiles and happy picked out a Springfield Armory Hellcat sorry not a Ruger. Started to fill out the paperwork when the owner said sorry can't sell you a gun your CCW expired 2 weeks ago. I was in shock just couldn't imagine 5 years had past already since I moved to N.C.
You can still buy it just go the the sheriff and apply for a purchase permit.
Next morning went to the sheriff's office told him I let my ccw expire he just shook his head and asked why did I let it expire. Told him it has been a rough few years 14 rounds of chemo 2 major operations I just forgot. He said I can see why now. But I was in luck since it had only been 2 weeks I did not have to go through the whole process again but it would take 90 days to get a new CCW card. He told me I could still carry but only in N.C. So I paid the $ 90.00 fee and now I wait.
There I applied for a purchase permit. That was on a a Tuesday at 1PM the next morning at 11AM his office called and said to come in and pick up your permit. Went back to my LGS and bought the Hellcat. Now I can only carry in N.C. which really stinks because we are only 4 miles from S.C. where we do a lot of shopping. Went to S.C. last week felt naked without a carry. My fault for letting it expire but it will never happen again. Sorry for ranting on.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I renewed my LEOSA last week. Still certified as a reserve officer with nation wide carry but get the LEOSA permit just because. I figure every piece of paper you have will be a benefit if needed.

The way things have been going lately I'm with you on feeling naked without the heater. I'd stay on your side of the border.....things have gone nuts. Good luck on the 90 days.

Bepe

·
Registered
520 Posts
Now I can only carry in N.C. which really stinks because we are only 4 miles from S.C. where we do a lot of shopping. Went to S.C. last week felt naked without a carry. My fault for letting it expire but it will never happen again. Sorry for ranting on.
You can have it in a closed compartment (unlocked console or glove box) without a permit in SC. Just remember to take it out when you enter NC unless permit allows you to have it concealed.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Imagine if you had shot someone during that time. You could be in a boatload of trouble over a number on a card...:sick:

I see no reason to have to renew a permit. Nothing changes unless you commit a crime or change addresses. It's just for the money.

·
Registered
520 Posts
@ bearcatter
We once had to get permits because our zip code changed. The gun store had to run a BG ck on a purchase because of it.

@ Nam Vet: We don't need a permit to purchase in SC. My oldest son lives in NC he had to get a permit for me to give him a pistol.
I grew up just below the NC/SC state line before CC.
It was legal carry a firearm loaded in reach inside of a closed compartment in SC. In NC it was legal to carry a loaded firearm in reach in an auto but it had to be visible. Each state used to set up DL checks at the border to make the state a little $$

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Imagine if you had shot someone during that time. You could be in a boatload of trouble over a number on a card...:sick:

I see no reason to have to renew a permit. Nothing changes unless you commit a crime or change addresses. It's just for the money.
I doubt it. You would have a problem with carrying without a permit “possibly”, but it would have no bearing on if it was a good shoot or not.

Yes, permits are a tax. I buy hunting licenses too. There is a cost to government that gun owners should pay. The renewal pays for a background check. It also lets us bypass the NICS check.

Yes, permits suck. But it wasn’t that many years ago when none of us could carry concealed without breaking the law.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wow, so if you don't have a CCW you have to have a permit to purchase a gun? Do you need to get one everytime you want to buy a gun or does one cover you for a couple of years? That just doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
@GTO
I’m not sure if you are referring to my post? I will explain in case you are.

In KY, to buy a gun you get a NICS instant background check that is not instant. When BG check is approved, you do the ATF form and you own a gun.

My permit lets me skip the BG check, but I still do the ATF form.

No permit is required.

·
Registered
600 Posts
These rules and laws from state to state are unbelievable. Here in Gun World no permit is needed to carry or buy anything. But having a permit does speed up the processes when purchasing a new gun. And the WVa permit is one the best when in another state.

I just recently renewed my carry permit for another five years ... $50.00. There's an office in the courthouse downtown, the renewal process takes about 10 minutes ... no sheriffs involved.

·
Premium Member
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, so if you don't have a CCW you have to have a permit to purchase a gun? Do you need to get one everytime you want to buy a gun or does one cover you for a couple of years? That just doesn't make any sense.
If I had a CCW I would not need a permit to buy a gun I would be good for 5 years. Until I get my CCW back I will need a permit to buy a gun. What don't you get?

·
Registered
194 Posts
If I had a CCW I would not need a permit to buy a gun I would be good for 5 years. Until I get my CCW back I will need a permit to buy a gun. What don't you get?
Why you need a permit just to buy a gun if you don't have a CCW. I don't get that or any possible reason for it. You have to pass a background check to purchase a gun, why do you need a permit?

·
Premium Member
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why you need a permit just to buy a gun if you don't have a CCW. I don't get that or any possible reason for it. You have to pass a background check to purchase a gun, why do you need a permit?
GTO, I don't make the rules it is what it is and that's the way it is in N.C.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts