Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Alabama just Started selling lifetime permits. Only $150 for an old fart over 60.
Alabama will be a consitutional carry state beginning January 1, 2023. No permit required. Permits recommended if traveling through states that reciprocate. They take about two weeks to get if you don't have one. Just fill out a sheet of paper, felony background check and you're good to go. Alabama is a "shall issue" state. Sounds like NC has turned into a liberal communist state. Asheville certainly is liberal among other things.

· Registered
264 Posts
Colorado CCW permits are issued by country sheriffs usually with no issue. In the past there have been come sheriffs that issued very few permits. That creates a few issues such as it is not recognized as a state issued ID. Regardless of CCW status you have to pass a Colorado bureau of investigation background check $10.50 if the dealer doesn't mark it up. No waiting period. It would be nice if your gun permit would waive the background check.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
No permit of any kind to buy a firearm in Missouri. Should be that way everywhere.
And Missouri is constitutional carry.
It's good that Missouri changed that permit requirement. When I was stationed there from 2004-05, they got rid of the handgun permit requirement right before I left. I had to go to the Sheriff's office for a permit when I bought my G21 out there in 2004.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Almost all the Midwest and Southeast grants each other reciprocity now. If you have a CCDW permit.
I made my move from Florida to Wyoming with my Florida permit. It was comforting to be able to carry, given the collection I had in the U-Haul. I just had to avoid Illinois like the plague, which required going through that horrific mess of interchanges in Kansas City to get up north into Nebraska to catch I-80. There was no way I was going to stay on I-70 and go through Denver to get to I-25. Denver is a friggin' mess.

· Registered
532 Posts
Imagine if you had shot someone during that time. You could be in a boatload of trouble over a number on a card...:sick:

I see no reason to have to renew a permit. Nothing changes unless you commit a crime or change addresses. It's just for the money.
We still have to get CCW renewal, though I like Constitutional carry which my son's state (KS) has. But he still gets CCW so he can carry when he visits us in NE.

The only reasonable reason I would consider for what would change for renewing would be that you are still alive and physically and mentally capable of doing a renewal. I'll be due to renew next year and I think every other renewal has to be in person at State Patrol HQ: my last one was all done through the mail. I've heard state will send you a post card reminder and they did some legislation where you get a month or 2 of grace period after expiration to use and renew. If you expire beyond that you have to do the whole thing: take and pay for a class and pay double the renewal for a new CCW.

@Nam Vet : Electronic calendar reminders are your friend. Put reminders on for 6 months, 3 months, 1 week prior and also on the date, and at least 1 week after to bug you to do it. I feel your brain pain, even without your extra distractions. Hope your health issues start recovering.

· Registered
532 Posts
I made my move from Florida to Wyoming with my Florida permit. It was comforting to be able to carry, given the collection I had in the U-Haul. I just had to avoid Illinois like the plague, which required going through that horrific mess of interchanges in Kansas City to get up north into Nebraska to catch I-80. There was no way I was going to stay on I-70 and go through Denver to get to I-25. Denver is a friggin' mess.
Only thing that might have gotten you in NE was hauling a trailer with out of state plates. They catch a few drug mules that way every once in a while.

Just remember that in NE, we REQUIRE that if stopped (official interaction) you have to tell the officer that you are carrying and where you are carrying and that you have a permit. The few times I've had to do that they have appreciated being told. I have heard that they tend toward leaving you alone after they have done the procedural checks they are required to do.

· Registered
3,381 Posts
In NH we dont need a permit to buy anything VT, ME and NH are all constitutional carry states no permits required.

I want to buy a gun I call my dealer tell him what I want, he calls me when it arrives, I do the 4473 online, he calls when the BG check has been done I pick up the gun it's that simple.

· Administrator
23,662 Posts
Nam Vet sounds like the Sheriff was understanding and it will work out for you. Put a reminder in your phone for the next one as time just flies and before you know it you don't recognize that old dude looking back at you in the mirror.

NH has no purchase permit, and we have constitutional carry. We do have to fill out the forms and pass a state police background check for handguns (NICS for long guns) with each purchase. If the SP get busy it can be a pain as you have to wait until they get to you, the NICS is quick. The state check has taken me up to 45 minutes and as little as 5. Just how your luck is running.

· Registered
12 Posts
These rules and laws from state to state are unbelievable. Here in Gun World no permit is needed to carry or buy anything. But having a permit does speed up the processes when purchasing a new gun. And the WVa permit is one the best when in another state.

I just recently renewed my carry permit for another five years ... $50.00. There's an office in the courthouse downtown, the renewal process takes about 10 minutes ... no sheriffs involved.
Never take that for granted or give an INCH. Here in communist New York it couldn't be harder to get a CCL. We are fighting tooth and nail with multiple lawsuits to force NY to comply with Bruen but they are dug in. We have made some inroads though. NY will be dragged into compliance it's just a matter of time.

· Registered
264 Posts

Those of us who have to deal with Denver traffic prefer the term "sh#t show"

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Only thing that might have gotten you in NE was hauling a trailer with out of state plates. They catch a few drug mules that way every once in a while.

Just remember that in NE, we REQUIRE that if stopped (official interaction) you have to tell the officer that you are carrying and where you are carrying and that you have a permit. The few times I've had to do that they have appreciated being told. I have heard that they tend toward leaving you alone after they have done the procedural checks they are required to do.
Yeah, I looked up the different states' requirements in great detail before the trip. Nebraska was the only one with an affirmative requirement to disclose that one is carrying. The other states through which I traveled only require it if asked.

No trailer for that trip in any case.

· Registered
78 Posts
Ah, the joys of our golden years....

Had I not checked the mail (usually daily, although it is fun to not get it and see the mailbox fill up), I would have missed my second renewal on the CCW. In the Lone Star State we have CCW, Open Carry and Constitutional Carry. I prefer the CCW because of the reprocity agreements in place ins some states. However, I must say that going our carrying makes it interesting watching for and reading the signs. The other day I almost got caught because there was a 51% sign right behind me when I entered one of our favorite Tex-Mex restaurants.

Reactions: Robert70

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Ah, the joys of our golden years....

Had I not checked the mail (usually daily, although it is fun to not get it and see the mailbox fill up), I would have missed my second renewal on the CCW. In the Lone Star State we have CCW, Open Carry and Constitutional Carry. I prefer the CCW because of the reprocity agreements in place ins some states. However, I must say that going our carrying makes it interesting watching for and reading the signs. The other day I almost got caught because there was a 51% sign right behind me when I entered one of our favorite Tex-Mex restaurants.
What's a 51% sign?

21 - 40 of 94 Posts