Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Courchevel airport in the French Alps. 1,760ft runway. My Dad would have loved this but I didn't get that gene.

Here's the runway

And a takeoff (different plane).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Love it! I learned to fly at a 1700 ft long airport with trees offset another 500 ft at each end. Kept me focused... We weren't flying Citations, however...

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Sort of like a carrier take-off without the catapult.

There's an old military runway somewhere in the Aleutians with a massive mountain at one end. The listing in the FAA's airport directory simply says, "successful go-around unlikely".

Jim

·
Registered
785 Posts
The Navy boy's probably like that!

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
1700' downhill takeoff in a general aviation airplane? Piece of cake. Same with the uphill landing. It's like anything else. It looks like a big deal because of the spectacular background scenery but 1700' is typically all a GA airplane actually needs to takeoff and land. The bigger issue is the density altitude. On a hot day it's probably impossible for that Citation to take off.

Cool pic and video. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
:rolleyes: What I learned as a pilot : Take-offs are optional .... landings are mandatory

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'll have to try landing there................................ in Microsoft FSX - much safer that way.;)

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
The runway drops away pretty steeply - or at least it looks like it does in the picture (18.6% grade according to the published specs) - and that might help you accelerate for takeoff. If you manage to get airborne in ground effect, the rate of climb needed to clear the obstacles at the end of the runway appears to be negative. All in all, not a bad place to fly out of.

However...... landing there would be a bit more of a challenge. I notice that there is no published "missed approach" procedure (I guess it would be a little callous to print "on missed approach, crash as close as possible to the fire station."), which implies that there's little hope of a second chance. On the positive side, the uphill gradient will assist in braking.

Jim

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts