Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive seen so many pics of Customized , Fresh projects , Collectors mint revolvers , New Revolvers, and Safe Queen Blackhawks and New Model Blackhawks......Sighhh........enough !
Lets see some pics of your used up old camp revolvers , truck revolvers , and stuff that aint so Purdy no more !
I'm more interested in revolvers that have "Been There" and "Done That"......well worn , used up old hags , well worn old Dogs , and revolvers that show use (some character) and maybe even neglect......that we still Love and use.....and the history and stories behind them........thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
That is a good looking 45Super.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,413 Posts
My Favorite "Beater"

My 6.5" Blackhawk .357 was my first Ruger revolver. I found her in a pawnshop for a good price due to the blemishes and surface wear. The gun was mechanically tight and sound and became the test-bed for my .357 handloads. I had previously only had a 4" .357, so the longer barrel allowed me to see higher velocities on my chronograph than ever before. Accuracy has always been great, and it's still my favorite gun to carry in the woods.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I neither neglect nor abuse my revolvers. I paid dearly for them and take very good care of them, keeping them cleaned, well oiled and protected by cases or good holsters.

This is as close to a "beater" as I have, and mostly because I bought it used at a bargain price.

It had an aluminum grip frame and ejector housing and had the Ruger conversion in it when I bought it, but I corrected that. The steel grip frame is what I fitted then cold blued. It is a project gun, just a little further down the line.

Just because a gun is well used doesn't mean it has to get beat up nor neglected. This Super Blackhawk has been with me on many hunts,caught on a couple of occasions in a downpour. And from my log book see that it is standing at over 17,000 fired from it:

Bob Wright

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I'm with Bob. A great number of my firearms are well used, none of them are beat up, save those handed down from my dad, grandpa, and great grandpa - and they did the beating. Even my truck guns and my daily carry guns aren't abused or beat up.

My chainsaws are well maintained too, and you won't find grease even on my most used wrenches in my garage. It's not difficult to take care of your equipment.

Owning stainless firearms helps. A lot easier to hide wear marks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sometimes, You acquire them in bad condition, from folks who don't take great care.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a couple of Ruger single actions that have a bit of field wear on them. This one is an original Bearcat that was given to me by an old friend many years ago. The serial number puts it at being made in 1959. It is my main "Snake pistol" when I am out at the ranch. I carry it in the saddle bags of my ATV or the glove box of my Polaris Ranger loaded with shot shells:

I'll have to brake out my other pistolas and take some photos of them.......

·
Registered
918 Posts
Bought my only Blackhawk new in 1968. It's had a couple thousand through the pipe, but not in recent decades. The grip frame finish is gettin' pretty thin though:

This Single Six is the closest thing I have to a beater - bought it new in 1959, and it has many bricks through its little bore. There is a bit of holster wear, a slight turn line, and all the blue finish is gone off the grip frame:

·
Banned
3,167 Posts

One of my well traveled SBH's. I've killed deer and coyotes in at least 8 states I can recall with this one. Coming up on its 20th birthday soon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I broke out my other two well worn Rugers and took some more photos.

The first one is a Flat Top .357 magnum that was given to me by a guy many years ago. It belonged to his brother who had passed away. The guy didn't like guns at all, so he had kept it hidden under the floor of his barn in the holster, inside of a plastic bag......for a year! It took me a while to clean up, but it actually turned out pretty nice. There is some pitting on the barrel where it sat against the leather, but other than than, it doesn't look too bad. The grips have some staining on them and the logos are worn, but they are still serviceable. The holster is an S.D. Myres "Threepersons" rig. According to the guy who gave it to me, his brother carried this pistol while running trap lines up in Alaska:

This is an older photo that shows the Threepersons holster:

The next one is a SBH that was given to me by my daughter's father in law. He is a "Gun guy" too, but not into single actions. He knew that I have an affliction for the old hog legs, so he gave this one to me. Again, as before, it belonged to his brother who had passed away. I don't know anything more than that of the history behind it. The pistol originally had a set of rubber Pachmayr grips when I got it, but I have since replaced them with a set of factory SBH grips.

As you can see, it is definitely well used! Somewhere along the line, the screw that holds on the ejector rod either broke or was stripped out. So someone cut a dovetail into the barrel and fabricated a threaded block to hold the ejector rod on. It works OK, but I have to keep an eye on it, so it doesn't come flying off when I shoot it.

I am planning on taking this one back to Ruger (In Prescott, AZ) to have them replace the barrel and do a reblue on it and then giving it to my son in law as it was his uncles' and I think he should have it:

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I neither neglect nor abuse my revolvers. I paid dearly for them and take very good care of them, keeping them cleaned, well oiled and protected by cases or good holsters.

This is as close to a "beater" as I have, and mostly because I bought it used at a bargain price.

It had an aluminum grip frame and ejector housing and had the Ruger conversion in it when I bought it, but I corrected that. The steel grip frame is what I fitted then cold blued. It is a project gun, just a little further down the line.

Just because a gun is well used doesn't mean it has to get beat up nor neglected. This Super Blackhawk has been with me on many hunts,caught on a couple of occasions in a downpour. And from my log book see that it is standing at over 17,000 fired from it:

Bob Wright
Man.......................that's a good looking SBH!

Reactions: Dlanor Sekao

·
Registered
918 Posts
I am planning on taking this one back to Ruger (In Prescott, AZ) to have them replace the barrel and do a reblue on it and then giving it to my son in law as it was his uncles' and I think he should have it:
That is a good plan - you're a thoughtful father-in-law. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts