Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

This is a beater .38 Special Service Six that I got for about $200, it has pitting all over it and even in the bore. I added a set of Bullseye springs to it, some NOS Herrett's grips and a Tyler trigger shoe. I think the Herrett's are butt ugly but they have a "retro" look and they have a perfect grip angle for me. The covered backstrap on the Herret's also hides the scouring damage that's on the backstrap, when the gun rusted over it looks like the previous owner took steel wool or a wire brush and scrubbed half of the gun with it..........The trigger shoe just seems to work with the gun, it adds more "retro" to it and also makes the DA pull feel even lighter. This isn't a gun that I show off, and it's FAR from being a good looking gun but it's a fun shooter and it keeps the rounds off my "nice" guns when I want to have some fun with cheap dirty .38 reloads.

This is another beat up GP100 I got cheap, added the lightest Wolff springs, 9 lb. trigger latch and main spring, and a set of Hogue woods I had no other place for, as well as an Ace trigger shoe and I only use it for Federal .38 158 gr. ammo for range plinking.

This is one of my favorites, added Bullseye springs to this one too, and all the Tyler toys to it. I plan to add stag grips to it as soon as I can.:) This Six is super slick and drives tacks, the action is just right and it's one of those guns that I think we all have, that just feels like an old broken in baseball mitt........I bought this gun used, it probably had 1,000's of .357's through it before I got to it, and it's very well broken in, but still has lifetimes of use left in it and just feels "right" in my hand. It's also one of those guns, again, that we all have, that always seems to find it's way into a case and into the range bag when I get some time to go shooting.

This is just a "plain jane" .38 Special Service Six, has plenty of holster scouring but I don't plan to try to buff it up. I'm leaving the stock springs in it, and did nothing but add a T-grip to it. This is definitely fast becoming a favorite of mine, not because it's the slickest, or the best shooter, but it's just a rock solid, dependable revolver that's far from mint, I'm not afraid to use it for CC once in a while but it's still a gun I can be proud to show off.

The best part about owning shooter grade, non-collectible guns is that you can truly have fun modifying them, and seeing how much you can make them "fit" you better. I have some really nice Rugers that I don't touch, they hardly get fired and I leave them "factory", but when it comes time to go shooting, I always think of one of these "shooters" first=)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I always look forward to seeing your pics. Home today because of the storm checking my favorite gun sites.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
ExArmy - good stuff! I like this thread....

The Police Service-Six I found recently. It cleaned up nice but it has rash here and there and will be treated as a regular shooter.

This 4" GP100 was a pawn shop find, very dirty with a scruffy black Hogue grip. It took a long hot bath in the ultrasonic cleaner, some new Wolff springs, a new Hi-Viz front sight and a new Hogue wood grip and she's a new gun again. Outlast me I'm sure.

The lower SP101, 2.25" is another pawn shop find. It's 18 years old and got "The Full Spa Treatment" - ultrasonic bath, new Wolff springs, new XS small dot front sight and a Jim Badger Boot grip.

The upper 3" SP101 was also found at a pawn shop but was a 2012 serial number. Turned out the barrel was canted and it shot low and to the left and the original owner got rid of it instead of trying to figure out what was wrong. Ruger made it right and it's a great shooter now. Same goodies as the 2.25" SP101.

All were well used pawn shop guns that just needed some TLC, some fluff & buff and a few accessories and they're now great shooters. One of the advantages of SS over blue is when they get well used you can often buff out a lot of the wear and put a shine on them. The pictures above hide most of the flaws that are still there. I still love wood & blue! I just don't have any good examples that fit the thread.

Wave

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I got this early production 1990 .38 Special SP101 at a gun show for $300 or so. All I did to it was deep clean it with Eezox and put some used Lett inserts in the grip that I had no other use for, to replace the beat up delrin inserts. This SP looks like it was kicked down a few flights of concrete steps and carried hard. It was probably a PD issue plainclothes or off-duty piece. I noticed that when I bought this one, several other forum members had found beat up .38 SP101's so I'm guessing a "lot" got traded in from somewhere. It's dependable as a baseball bat though, and is an excellent carry piece that I don't have to baby, that also sees a lot of rounds at the range. The DA pull must be 40 pounds:) but it's relatively smooth, I would love to find a spurless hammer for it. I kept the stock springs in it, for max reliability and I often carry this.

This is a rehash from another post, but this is another trade in from somewhere. It's thrashed looking, and I added the spurless hammer and rubber grips. It's a blast to shoot and an excellent carry gun. It just needs a new extractor rod, since it looks like someone took this one off with a monkey wrench. It's a great shooter and has nicks and scrapes so deep polishing it up would be senseless, so I use it as a carry piece and a training gun.

This is a GP100 that was a security trade in, that I made into a HD gun and a winter carry piece. I dropped in a DAO spurless hammer, added Meprolight night sights and a new Hogue Decelerator grip. It's a fun shooter that sees mostly full bore .357 and is one of my primary go-to guns.

I know this isn't a Ruger, but this S&W 67-1 is what helped start my passion for wheelguns, back in 2003. I lived in NJ at the time, where there basically is no concealed carry, but this was my only home defense weapon until I got my CZ-85b a few years later. It took me until 2008, when I got my first GP100, quickly followed by my first Six (the Speed Six pictured above:)) to realize that I'm truly a Ruger revolver nut.

This .38 Special GP100 was a security gun, it's rough as a cob inside the frame, looks like the trigger guard was fitted by the new guy at the Ruger plant, and there's a pretty big gap in the seam where the frame meets the guard. It had so much endshake I added 2 Power Custom bearings to tighten it up. But, with all this, the action with the stock springs is smooth as glass and rivals any S&W. It cloverleafs at 25 yards if I do my part, and goes bang every single time. I'll take a gun with cosmetic flaws every time, if they shoot like this one does.

This is one of my favorites, it's a 1976 .38 Special Service Six, that was parkerized green when I got it. It had a ROUGH action, there were about 3 "gags" in the DA pull before the hammer dropped, it seemed like someone dropped in junk parts from another Ruger before they sold it........the hammer was way too thin for the frame and had so much wobble the trigger pull was different each time. So, I added a NOS stainless hammer and trigger set, and new cylinder latch......along with Wolff springs and a set of brown plastic grips from vintagegungrips.com. I call it my "Ruger version of a Colt Commando":) and it's a nice shooting gun now with an excellent action. It took me months of swapping parts and tinkering to get this one "right".

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
My 1982 4" Security Six 357

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the 4" .357 stainless Security Six, unfortunately I don't own one but I plan to:) These are just classic, all purpose working guns and I love the one in jaxrider's pic, with the Ruger target grips.

This is one of my favorite Security Sixes, I wanted a stainless 6" model but got this one at a price I couldn't turn away.

This is my shooter grade low-back Security Six, it has a very rough action and I plan to leave the Herrett's grips on, they have probably been with the gun since the 70's and they just look "right" on this gun. I need to clean it up and hope the action cleans up a bit.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
My most accurate shooter is a 6" Security Six. With RedDot and 148 wadcutters... it leaves an impression that I can shoot.:D

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
ExArmy - good stuff! I like this thread....

The Police Service-Six I found recently. It cleaned up nice but it has rash here and there and will be treated as a regular shooter.

This 4" GP100 was a pawn shop find, very dirty with a scruffy black Hogue grip. It took a long hot bath in the ultrasonic cleaner, some new Wolff springs, a new Hi-Viz front sight and a new Hogue wood grip and she's a new gun again. Outlast me I'm sure.

The lower SP101, 2.25" is another pawn shop find. It's 18 years old and got "The Full Spa Treatment" - ultrasonic bath, new Wolff springs, new XS small dot front sight and a Jim Badger Boot grip.

The upper 3" SP101 was also found at a pawn shop but was a 2012 serial number. Turned out the barrel was canted and it shot low and to the left and the original owner got rid of it instead of trying to figure out what was wrong. Ruger made it right and it's a great shooter now. Same goodies as the 2.25" SP101.

All were well used pawn shop guns that just needed some TLC, some fluff & buff and a few accessories and they're now great shooters. One of the advantages of SS over blue is when they get well used you can often buff out a lot of the wear and put a shine on them. The pictures above hide most of the flaws that are still there. I still love wood & blue! I just don't have any good examples that fit the thread.

Wave
They are beautiful.......

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
My most accurate shooter is a 6" Security Six. With RedDot and 148 wadcutters... it leaves an impression that I can shoot.:D

exlogger, your target grips pictured here have really nice grain. At ptblank's suggestion I opened all the rest of the boxes of the six sets of target grips I bought from Ruger and found that I have one really nice set, one that's pretty good, one that's OK and the other three are pretty bland and have the color of butterscotch pudding! I would still use them in place of something beat to death or an aftermarket grip I didn't care for. But there was a considerable range of attractiveness amongst the six sets. Yours look really nice!

Wave

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
exlogger, your target grips pictured here have really nice grain. At ptblank's suggestion I opened all the rest of the boxes of the six sets of target grips I bought from Ruger and found that I have one really nice set, one that's pretty good, one that's OK and the other three are pretty bland and have the color of butterscotch pudding! I would still use them in place of something beat to death or an aftermarket grip I didn't care for. But there was a considerable range of attractiveness amongst the six sets. Yours look really nice!

Wave
These are actually Sile target grips from CDNN Sports. Before I found the deal on the Ruger site I ordered 3 sets. The same thing happened to me... one really nice pair out of the three. I kept the best ones on my 6" and ordered some of the Ruger grips for my 4" Security Six. Not sure if Sile makes the wood Target grips for Ruger, but I do know they made their rubber grips.

Their rubber target grips for $6.99 don't look as nice as the wood, but man do they fit great. Smaller than the Pachs, and they really absorb the recoil of the magnum loads. Here is a pic of the Sile rubber grips next to the Pachs that came on my 4".

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I strongly suspect Sile made the later production wood target grips, since I have some late Ruger logo target grips, and they are identical to a set of Sile grips that I have except for the screw, escutcheons and the logo.

It makes sense, since Sile made the factory rubber Ruger logo grips that were used from about 1985-1988.

I have 5 of these 1985 production .38 Special Service Sixes, they have the "P" in the model number designating the rubber grips even though one came with wood "slim" factory grips. The grips are the same Siles on exloggers Six except for the plastic logo medallions. Ruger.com had these new on the Ruger Store about a year ago, but I thought that new grips wouldn't look right on guns with holster wear, so I stayed with the slightly worn rubber grips:)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

I had these Sile wood grips on this Service Six, but apparently they use soft metal for the screws and escutcheons. After removing the grips a few times, the screw and threads stripped and I just threw the grips away. The wood also appears to be a very light colored, soft pine or some such, that they threw a stain and varnish on. The Ruger logo wood grips are much higher quality.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I fixed it!:)

That's one of my favorite "beaters"! Now it has some old crusty Pachmayr Presentations on it:D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts