Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of deciding what I want for a safe and wanted to see what others on here have done or recommend or don't recommend. Right now I am looking at this safe right now.

A lock smith that I go to recommended this to me as an entry level safe, their price was $900 delivered. They order them and have them shipped to your door so no different then ordering it on Amazon and saving some money.

I am also thinking of getting this one here to keep a couple handy. They also recommended this one and their price was $500. I already purchase a lot from them so I won't feel bad if I went somewhere else.

One of their employees also told me of another place a little ways away that sells safes for less then they can buy them. I haven't gone there yet to see what they have.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Go away, Govt spy!!

Besides, why would I need a safe? I never have actually bought anything. Most of my friends here have lost their firearms in boating accidents. Poor fellas....

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,408 Posts
My little collection didn't* need a "safe," only a storage unit similar in material to an office filing cabinet, bought from Wally World for $89, assembly required.

*It now sits empty due to the boating accident.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Fire rating is very important to me when looking to purchase a safe
Less important is the price, the ratio of value of contents vs the safe.... Think about it. Not a place where I would save a couple hundred dollars at the risk of some good firearms

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I am not to the point where I need a safe yet, so I just have a Stack On 14 gun cabinet and a pistol cabinet that sits on top of that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Really depends on what your buying a safe for. Fire protection? Theft protection? Just to keep small children out? The 14 gauge safe you reference above would not take any time at all to break into. 14 gauge is about .0747 thick. 1/16 inch for comparison is .0625. If your keeping your kids out your probably okay. Against thieves probably not, unless you have an alarm and live a few miles from the police station. Even then in a fire anything inside is toast, unless you live next door to the fire department, maybe. So would I put a synthetic stock Mossberg 500 in one to keep my 3 year old a way from it? Sure. Would I put Grandpa's Colt SAA or a Colt Python in there living 10 miles out of town with no neighbors or fire hydrants? Hell no. You get what you pay for and with safes you ALWAYS buy more than you need. But I'm just guessing, I lost all my guns in a move, across a lake, with a small inflatable and a puppy that liked to chew.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Having had a house fire, living all of 1.8 miles from the fire house, and them needing 4 HOURS to extinguish the blaze, 30 minutes is no where NEAR what I would have seen. Plus, the temps reached 2500 in the garage. Um... Nothing steel withstood the blaze with ANY semblance of normalcy. The cars were burnt out shells. So would your safe be.
Agreed with the previous advice.
Darn it, I must have bought on of your old boats, Ironically I too had a tragic boating accident which claimed all my firearms.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I recently experienced some severe water damage to my safe.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts