Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Ruger 10/22
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad gave me an old Leupold M8 6x42 scope and I got it sighted in at 75 yards. My issues is below 10-15 yards its blurry. Most of my hunting of raccoons and armadillos and such is all done from 10-30 yards. Do i need to change it out for the Simmons .22 Mag i have in the closet? Will it be better for the shorter distance?
Motor vehicle Bumper Air gun Automotive exterior Automotive tire

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,459 Posts
That is a nice big game scope. Parallax is likely set at 100 or 150 yards. For your short range needs a rimfire scope will probably serve better. If the Leupold is at all blurry from 25yds on out you might want to contact them for service.

·
Registered
Ruger 10/22
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think ill try the Simmons next weekend. I know the quality isnt Leupold but its not doing me much good if i cant use it for what i need it for. The only time i use a target is getting it dialed in. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
583 Posts
6 power may be a little strong for such close in work.

That said.....if you can't get it straightened out, give Leupold CS a call and send it back. Their Customer Service is one of the best in the business. The scope may have developed a leak. The Leupold Custom Shop will recharge the gas and seal the scope. If you want a reticle change they offer that service also.

I've got an 90's vintage Vari X III 1.5x5 power on my Bergara BXR 10-22 clone.

BTW....nice rig you have.

Bepe

Wood Air gun Metal Blade Gun accessory

·
Registered
409 Posts
That's a nice old scope. The M8's go back many years. Still highly usable. It's been said for me....to much power for short range. Yes you might give Leupold a call. I'm not sure that Leupold offers much service on those older scopes. The last three M8's I have sent back have been replaced. The last new M-8 I bought was in the middle 1970's. It was a 4x that and was fifty dollars out the door.

I still actively use M-8's in 3x, 12x and 16x. Not that I'm old fashioned and reluctant to give stuff up or anything like that. When I first started Leupold's it was the series the preceded the M8. Leupold is still a favorite. The most recent scope I mounted was a Carl Zeiss. I don't have a bias.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,467 Posts
There' nothing wrong with the scope .... it just isn't made for close up use. I believe Leupold set the M8's parallax to 150 yards. Your best bet for a 22 LR, used at various distances is a scope with a side dial or an adjustable objective lens (AO). You can adjust parallax correction and focus down to 10 yards and out to several hundred yards. I have a Nikon (no longer being made) 3~9X Rimfire scope with AO, that produces a sharp image from 10 yards to well beyond the max shooting distance for a 22 LR. Of course, you have to take a few seconds to adjust the AO ring or side dial for the proper distance.

I wrote and posted an article titled "Scope Dope" in the Forum E-Library. It goes into great detail about parallax, magnification, and most other scope attributes. Here's a link for those members with at least 25 posts: Scope Dope | Ruger Forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts