Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently traded for a Ruger M77 MKII VT in 223 caliber. This rifles primary use will be target shooting at 300 yards max. Right now I have a Nikon Prostaff 3X9 on it that I had been using on a 10/22 that I am fixing to do a build on. With Fiocchi 223 55gr FMJ I can get 3 shot groups about the size of a dime at 100 yards using a Bulls bag front rest. I am trying to decide between a Nikon M223 4X16 or a Leupold Mark AR 6X18 to put on this rifle. I currently have a Nikon M223 2X8 on My Loki AR and like it quite a bit but it just doesn't give my 58 year old eyes enough magnification at 300 yards. The Nikon has side focus as opposed to objective focus on the Leupold but that is not a big deal to me. I am more concerned with which scope has the clearer glass. I have zero experience with Leupolds and have no access to the Mark AR to check it out. All I have ever owned is Nikons. Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nikon M-223

I understand what you are saying about old eyes, lol....Amazing how it takes it's toll on what choices we make. I have been using
Nikon's M-223 3-12 Rapid Action Turret with excellent success. I have shot out to 600 yards with excellent results. Almost seems now that 300 yards is a done deal once I pull the trigger. I do not own the new for 2012 M-223 4-16, but I have gone over it throughly at Shot 2012. Great looking glass! Big scope as well. I use a MONARCH 4-16 on my Custom built Hill Country Rifle in .300 Win. , really helps with reaching out as far as I need to. For hunting I use the BDC reticle and team it up with Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to really maximize my accuracy.

If you can get to a retailer that has both scopes to check out, I think for 300 yards, you will be very happy with the 3-12. Not trying to talk you out of the 4-16, just trying to give you another suggerstion on an optic that might work for your needs.

Drop me a note with any question's.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/m-233-2.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Comparing the two scopes would be great. Only problem is I can't find the Leupold locally to do that. I have been to Cabelas, Dicks, Bass Pro Shops, and many, many gun shops. No luck. I know the Nikons are good, but I plan on zeroing the Ruger at 300 yards and that will be it's primary use. That is the max I can shoot at the gun club I belong to. I will use the AR for 100, 200, and 300. For the Ruger I don't really need the BDC or rapid action turrets. Main requirement is best magnification and best glass clarity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts