Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys and gals, maybe someone here can help me.. I have tried to contact Leupold, and the LGS that I got it from, and I'm not getting any answers..

I have a Leupold Rifeman 3-9X40mm scope that I picked up for my wifes 10/22.. We have since changed her scope, and I am thinking of installing it on one of my favorite childhood guns, a chinese spring powered air rifle..

I am desperately trying to figure out if the Rifleman scope will survive a springer airgun.. Anyone know for sure? (as I won't risk a $300+ scope on a maybe...) :confused:

· Registered
283 Posts
IIRC, air rifle scopes are constructed to withstand the 'double recoil' of a springer. I'd be hesitant to put a good scope on a cheapo air rifle without actually speaking to someone at Leoupold.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed, hence my question.. springers have both recoil, and reverse recoil, in addition to the vibrations unique to air rifles.. If only Leupold would answer my questions... (I have tried to ask them, but so far, 3 attempts have gone un answered...)

· Registered
173 Posts
Seems like I saw written somewhere once that "all Leupold scopes are suitable for use on air rifles". I didn't see it on their website now. Might consult the owners manual that came with your scope. Could have been I saw it in one of mine.

· Registered
5,008 Posts
Seems like I saw written somewhere once that "all Leupold scopes are suitable for use on air rifles". I didn't see it on their website now. Might consult the owners manual that came with your scope. Could have been I saw it in one of mine.
Seems like I've heard that, too, though i can't verify it. A quick call to Leupold will take care of that. Just give them a call.

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Big scope for an air rifle ?

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldnt find a # anywhere to phone them, all contact pages, input your info in the blanks and click submit kinda pages... (I'm in Canada)

Am I looking in the wrong places? lol

· Registered
964 Posts
Try Google, I did and one result was that Leupold, Burris and Bushnell rate their scopes for airgun use. I would still contact the manufacturer.
My Weaver rimfire scope is rated for airgun use. I have a Diana 54 which has a reputation for destroying scopes. The Weaver has held up so far.

· Banned
2,787 Posts
I tried a Weaver 1.5x4 that I had on a Marlin 444 and my old Beeman R-9 broke the crosshairs loose in under 10 shots .If I were you I would wait until you could talk to a customer rep at Leupold

· Registered
120 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread or anything but Leupold does not seem to be in any kind of hurry to reply to me either. I have tried twice now to find out if they know if any of their adapters will work to mount a Deltapoint on a SR1911 but no reply from them so far.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well folks, FINALLY heard back.. not from Leupold themselves, but from the main Canadian distributor, Korth.. I recieved an email reply from a senior repair tech saying its ok to use it on an air rifle. Woot!

Not sure why it was such a huge ordeal to get a reply?? For a company who prides themselves on being so good, they leave a lot to be desired in customer service!

· Banned
4,774 Posts
I tried a Weaver 1.5x4 that I had on a Marlin 444 and my old Beeman R-9 broke the crosshairs loose in under 10 shots .If I were you I would wait until you could talk to a customer rep at Leupold
Exactly my thoughts Reb,nothing is harder on a scope than a spring air rifle.....personally i wouldn't waste a good little rim fire scope on an air rifle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.