Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked around a bit, and saw several mentions of using these on rifles, with varied opinions about how well they worked.

They are supposedly NOT considered to be suppressors by the BATFE, because they don't reduce the TOTAL volume of sound. However, some do claim that they will redirect enough of the sound down-range, so that the shooter, and by-standers experience ALMOST the same result as using a suppressor.

I've never seen one myself, so I just don't know. They are fairly inexpensive though. About $35-40.

Have any of you tried one of these on a .22LR pistol?

Thanks,

Duane

·
Registered
283 Posts
There are a few youtube vids of it on the AR15, but I haven't seen one on a 22lr. I don't think you'll get the results you're looking for, though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a few youtube vids of it on the AR15, but I haven't seen one on a 22lr. I don't think you'll get the results you're looking for, though.
You very well may be correct. I've seen some of the AR15 vids.

I figured, what the heck. For the price, I'll going to try it. If it doesn't work out, I'll try using it on one of my rifles.

Thanks,

Duane

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Kies Blast Master, I looked a the Levang and liked this one better. Put is on a RGSR, didnt see one for a 22 pistol though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Kies Blast Master, I looked a the Levang and liked this one better. Put is on a RGSR, didnt see one for a 22 pistol though.
eMan,

Thanks for the Kies Blast Master info. I've already ordered a Archon Levang style SS compensator. BTW, the threads on my pistol are also 1/2-28.

I'll let you guys know how it works out... :)

Duane

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friendly UPS driver delivered the Archon Levang style SS linear compensator today. Here it is screwed on the business end of my Ruger Mark III 22/45 Lite pistol.

Sorry about the crappy photo. I was having camera troubles. :(

As you can see, it's just slightly smaller in diameter than the 22/45 Lite's Aluminum shrouded SS "barrel". Not too bad, but noticeable. It would be slightly larger in diameter than a threaded steel bull barrel. (and might look a little better)

This is the SS model. They also offer a graphite black version in steel.

Though intended to be used on a .223/5.56 rifle, I think that it'll work fine on a .22LR pistol.

I'm going to try it this weekend.

My goal here is not in recoil reduction, but to reduce (not eliminate) the perceived sound that the shooter experiences. That's what these are supposed to do.

I'll let you know...

Thanks,

Duane

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, me and the spouse tried the compensator out this afternoon.

It did reduce the sound, and the recoil, a little. Not by a significant amount though. :( Enough that we could tell when we had it on there, but certainly not enough to take off the earmuffs.

It only cost $35 though, so it's still worth it.

Duane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts