Ruger Forum banner

Do you put a scope on your lever actions?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I was out at the range yesterday for a little plinking and "guy time" and was talking about picking up a Henry Lever Action .22LR. A guy I shoot with regularly has a Browning Lever Action .22LR and shoots it with a Leupold Rimfire scope (2-7x28, I believe). Anyway, I mentioned that I thought it was a great little setup and that the Leupold complimented the classic styling of the lever action really well. A younger guy chimed in, "Are you crazy!? You can't scope a lever action! Come on! That's just wrong!"

So... What are your thoughts? Do you scope your lever-action guns or run iron sights? If you use a scope, what's your preference to compliment the lever action? If you run iron sights, do you use aftermarket sights from makers like Williams or do you use the plain Jane sights that come bolted onto the barrel and receiver? And, most importantly, why do you do what you do?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Since I was the 1st to vote, do I win a prize?;)

Anyway, about 40 years ago I got a Winchester 94 and had a 2.5x Bushnell Banner mounted on it. The scope is mounted slightly to the left of the receiver so the shells can eject out and you can still use the iron sights. Took a lot of deer with it and it is a secondary home defense rifle now . . .

·
Registered
530 Posts
You should add a depends on caliber to the poll. Yes on a 30/30 deer gun. No on a 357, or. .22lr. for iron sights I want to change out to a peep sight. I don't like the rear sights on marlins.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
There comes a time in every shooter's life when you just can see as well as you used to. It's going to happen, like it or not. If it's a question of looks vs. hitting what you're aiming at...

All my long guns (minus those smooth bore things I haven't figured out yet and minus my M1A) have scopes or red-dot devices on them.

No prima-donna guns in my house (well, except my M1A).

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should add a depends on caliber to the poll. Yes on a 30/30 deer gun. No on a 357, or. .22lr. for iron sights I want to change out to a peep sight. I don't like the rear sights on marlins.
Good suggestion. Do you know if I can edit the poll?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I voted to scope but that is qualified. I use a 3-9x40 scope on my 22LR Henry if I am 50 -100 yds but at 25 yards or less then I use Henry's Hi Viz barrel band front sight. That is way better than the stock post. It really depends on how good your eyes are and not a fashion statement. I like to see what I am shooting.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
No scopes on any of my levers actions but agree with Rivers2k if I had a Savage 99 or a BLR it would have a scope.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have three lever action rifles. A Henry H001, 1895 GG (45-70) and a 1894 LTD (.44 mag). The only rifle that has after market sights is the 1895. The 1895 has Williams Peep Sights.

I was the only one who voted after market sights. :eek:

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Really depends on the gun and how it is stocked. Traditional lever guns like a Model 94 or 336 are stocked for use with iron sights. Putting a scope on one of these forces you to raise your cheek off the stock to see through the scope. I hate doing that; much prefer using peep sights on these. Staying with iron sights let's you enjoy the great handling of these lever guns. Just not the same guns in the handling department when you add a scope, base and rings. Iron sights on these old guns looks more traditional, too. That said, I have no argument with folks that like scopes on their 94s or 336s. Scopes work and work well, even on these old lever guns. Each to their own. My 94 and my 336 wear peep sights and I'm happy with that.

Modern lever guns like the Browning BLR are better stocked for scope use and are chambered for longer range cartridges that make using a scope a good idea. if I was to stay with a lever gun for open country use, a BLR would be my choice.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
When I was younger (40 years ago or so) I hunted rabbits, quil, dove and ground squirrel with my Winchester 92 25-35, with the iron sights that came with it. Now I want a scope when I need to see what I'm shooting.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
The time I have to scope my Lever Actions is the time I hang up my guns. I do have scopes on my bolt action '06 and 77/22..... But never my lever guns :) ... or Single Actions.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I learned to use scopes on moving targets many years ago. Since the object is to hit something, I have no problem with adding a scope. If I had younger eyes I might consider a peep sight (i have extensive experience with peep sights) but now I even have Red Dot sights on my revolvers. I hit what I aim at, also (a deer at 100 yards, standing is no big deal).

FWIW
Dale53

·
Registered
827 Posts
My 1892s would be hard to scope, and it would ruin their looks. So far I just use the buckhorn's that came with them. But, I'm looking at maybe doing one of them up with something different - do not really want a tang sight though, so may either go with receiver mounted peeps or replace the semi-buckhorn with something albeit still an iron sight.

Both my 1892s are .357mag btw, so I'm only looking to reach out to a max of 100yds (my progressive lenses still let me do okay with irons, but my groups fall into the "paper plate" accuracy kind of shooting).

·
Registered
998 Posts
I agree that the particular lever gun in question is what determines weather a scope is warranted or not. In my case I have a collection of several older Winchester "73"s & 92's that I wouldn't even consider scoping due to their collectable value & original design. My newer Marlins, Savages and Winchesters are a different story, I use them out in the field and up at the range due to their more modern chamberings that are far more capable of making longer, more accurate shots. As far as rimfire levers I believe in individual preference, I have a 1970 model 255 Winchester .22 WMR with a Leoupold 3x9 with tip off mounts, my most prized small varmint lever!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a BLR In .308 that I bought used and came with a traditional 3-9x40 luepold. It is a great combo, but I really want a scout scope for it because I have the takedown model. The current scope doesn't keep zero when I seperate the parts for cleaning.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
My levers have always been Marlins ....there easy to scope.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Your money, your rifle...your WAY! I have one with a 3x9x32 and it is dead on..To h377 with what other folks think Do it your way..

wPm

·
Registered
93 Posts
Scopes on leverguns, eh? Yes and no - depends on the rifle:

Henry H001T 22lr - no scope, but I replaced stock sights with a vernier tang sight and globe front sight.

Rossi 92 in 44 Mag - no scope, but I replaced the stock sights with a Skinner barrel mount aperture and bead front sight.

Mossberg 464 in 30-30 - mounted 2-7x32 scope mainly because it is accurate enough out to 200+ yards with the right ammo.

Marlin 336A in 32 Win. Special - no scope, but I replaced the sights came on the rifle with a Williams FP rear (with Merit adjustable aperture) and a globe front sight. This rifle is impressively accurate, plenty enough to scope, but its a 1951 waffle top model that's never been drilled and tapped for scope mounts and I'm not about to be the one to mess with a classic.

Marlin 336C in 35 Remington - this one wears a scout scope setup backed up by a Williams FP rear sight (front sight is the factory bead).

So I've scoped some of my levers, and the ones that aren't all have aperture sights. It really depends on the rifle and the intended purpose as to what kind of sights they wear. I will admit that there is a strong nostalgic appeal to an iron sighted levergun though, and I love the way they carry without the scope. Adding the scope is just a matter of aesthetics giving way to practicality for me.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts