Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day to ALL - !
Mr. Moderator, if I'm posting this in the wrong spot, please move as necessary.

I’ve been doing a bit of research regarding liability insurance for concealed carry. One organization that seems quite prominent for both training and liability insurance is US Concealed Carry Association (USCCA).

Does anyone have experience with these folks?

I’m interested in your experiences, experiences based on Firsthand Knowledge (not someone else's opinion based on 2nd or 3rd person thought or hearsay).

If you don’t like them, what options, if any did you go to?

Thanks in advance.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am posting this alert about USCCA and other offerings by other companies for such insurance. Do not rely on the promotional material that describes what you are buying. It is hype. What you are buying is describes by the contract, and therein lies all the loopholes that allow the companies to not cover your claim or demand you repay them for money they laid out. One real danger is that most of the policies do not cover use of s gun in committing a crime. That sounds reasonable. However, what if you shot someone and get charged with a crime. The company provides a defense because you us have not been proven guilty. Then you are found guilty and th company acts to recover their $ outlay because you committed a crime. And there are other loopholes. I read the contracts (policies) of many othe insurance options available. I rejected them all. I signed up with CCW Safe, a business service not insurance that has the best coverage with the a clearly written contract the do not have loopholes. A read the policies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Write your own terms with the firm you trust.
I know a couple with a justified shooting, no citations etc. Non-fatal hit. Criminal with felonies. His family sued a year later. The couple paid out upwards of $14,000 for a defense. Won. But still had to pay legal bills. It went on almost two years after the shooting.
Lessons learned: never carry a semi-auto in public!
(I married the shooter!)

·
Registered
17,274 Posts
I'll never waste my money on insurance that I will never use.
If I'm forced to use my gun against someone, it would be in self defense, which is not a crime.

Plus, in Texas:
Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code
Sec. 83.001
Civil Immunity

A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9 (Offenses Against Public Order and Decency), Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant’s use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 235, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Amended by:Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1 (S.B. 378), Sec. 4, eff. September 1, 2007.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been through two divorces. I have US Law Shield AND USCCA. Short of it is, don’t pull your weapon until your life is in danger. The $70 I spend monthly for these two is piece of mind. I hope I never have to use it.
Lefty

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'll never waste my money on insurance that I will never use.
If I'm forced to use my gun against someone, it would be in self defense, which is not a crime.

Plus, in Texas:
Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code
Sec. 83.001
Civil Immunity

A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9 (Offenses Against Public Order and Decency), Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant’s use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 235, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Amended by:Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1 (S.B. 378), Sec. 4, eff. September 1, 2007.
Many states have that law, but it doesn't stop an hour overzealous prosecutor from going after you with multiple criminal charges. It happens even if you do everything right.
These policies help you in those cases.
That us unless you have 40 to 60k laying around for the attorney fees.

$10 a month per person is what mine cost, its easy to drop $240 a year on something you don't need as opposed to writing a 60k check on the off chance you do need it.

Most people waste more than that per year on coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, etc, so since I don't do any of those, I waste it on insurance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A lot said in this thread on the subject:

·
Registered
70 Posts
E9499DB3-8AD4-4BE7-85E7-F45AEEBEA355.jpeg
I’m not sure if this is still accurate, but I hope it helps. If I were going to obtain one of these, coverage for lawsuits after the criminal trial would interest me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
One real danger is that most of the policies do not cover use of s gun in committing a crime. That sounds reasonable. However, what if you shot someone and get charged with a crime. The company provides a defense because you us have not been proven guilty. Then you are found guilty and th company acts to recover their $ outlay because you committed a crime.
This is a good point even though the prosecutor has the burden of proof. The prosecutor can falsely charge you with enough stuff to amount to life in prison, and then says they'll let you off the hook, no jail time, if you plead guilty to one charge. Every lawyer would recommend taking the deal even if you're genuinely innocent. Bingo, insurance revoked (potentially).

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've had USCCA coverage for several years. I've never had to use it but it just 'feels' better having it. Like liability insurance to drive having insurance on myself to carry is not a big deal. Like the old saying , "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

·
Registered
685 Posts
Not nonsensical. Experience.

Not a joke. Experience.
Well then by all means, never carry a gun... no one is forcing you or whoever.

I stood trial for using hands and feet in self defense... should I have just stood there and get stabbed and beat with a pipe... and even better... should I have let my friend get killed who already got stabbed. Please provide some wisdom. Should I have been worried about getting sued, charged or saving our lives? Maybe I was a bit hasty worrying about the whole survival part of that and should have thought more about the litigation and attorney fees.

This forum is for adults who know there could be financial consequences if something happens and we'll deal with them and not whine about some nonsense like "I shouldn't have been carrying... l should have just stood there". If that is the lessons you learned, then you have a lot more learning to do.

·
Registered
17,274 Posts
Many states have that law, but it doesn't stop an hour overzealous prosecutor from going after you with multiple criminal charges. It happens even if you do everything right.
These policies help you in those cases.
That us unless you have 40 to 60k laying around for the attorney fees.

$10 a month per person is what mine cost, its easy to drop $240 a year on something you don't need as opposed to writing a 60k check on the off chance you do need it.

Most people waste more than that per year on coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, etc, so since I don't do any of those, I waste it on insurance.
I reckon it depends a lot on where you live.
I'm comfortable here without that insurance, based on the history of the area.

Reactions: Super Trucker
1 - 17 of 17 Posts