Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to the range today and the 200 rounds I am going to put through my SR9c will be bringing my totals close to 1000 in a month. It got me thinking. At this pace I will have 12,000 rounds through my gun in a year. I don't expect to keep this pace up, but if I did, at what point will I need a rebuild or replace my gun? Since I can't get a barrel from anyplace but Ruger, how many rounds is a barrel good for? Does it all come down to care and cleaning?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Heading to the range today and the 200 rounds I am going to put through my SR9c will be bringing my totals close to 1000 in a month. It got me thinking. At this pace I will have 12,000 rounds through my gun in a year. I don't expect to keep this pace up, but if I did, at what point will I need a rebuild or replace my gun? Since I can't get a barrel from anyplace but Ruger, how many rounds is a barrel good for? Does it all come down to care and cleaning?
In this article, the reviewer talks about running 25000 rounds thru an SR9 with no problems. He seems to indicate he doesn't expect any issues with the SR9c.

I would expect to replace the recoil spring around 5000 rounds just because....

Ruger SR9c Review - Guns & Ammo

·
Registered
998 Posts
You could always just trade it in for a new one every couple years. If you are going to be shooting that much I'd suggest looking at a quality Sig, HK or a Glock, they were all torture tested to over 40,000 rounds before major problems set in. That's not to say that ANY brand gun won't have any problems after thousands of rounds fired through them but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for" is especially true in a durable long lasting pistol. The SR-9 would NOT be on the top of my "shooter" list but rather as an occasional range gun or maybe even a CCW for some folks.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Being the rub/wear areas on the SRs are metal I would expect you could run tens of thousands of rounds through 'em. I do recoil springs every 3k or so on any auto laoder.

·
Registered
241 Posts
When the Ruger SR9 was introduced, I went to the range with a crew of willing volunteers and proceeded to thrash it royally. We put 6,900 rounds through it in one afternoon, and I finished off the rest of the 10,000 rounds of Magtech hardball a few days later. I managed to put some 15,000 rounds through it soon afterward, and the end result was a pile of empty brass, tired shooters and a single malfunction. Which we blamed on the guy wearing heavy gloves to spare his hands from the overheated pistol.

Read more: Ruger SR9c Review - Guns & Ammo

I really don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I really enjoy shooting this gun. I have it dialed in at 30 feet with the Gallaway upgrades, a Ghost Maker trigger bar and the Crimson Trace laser. I literally can shoot the corners off the targets. I'm at a thousand rounds without an issue. Since this is my every day concealed carry gun, my confidence in it is through the roof right now. I have never owned a polymer gun before and I was worried that just as I got good with this thing, it would start to break down. I figured for that price it could not be built to last very long. Sounds like I'm wrong! This is one time where that fact makes me happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.