Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
God Bless Ya! 3 more years, will have 30 and out the door! Let the young guys make the iron.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Nothing like waking up in the morning knowing that you own the day.

Retired at the ripe old age of 52 (yes, I did a few things right) ... and that was almost 13 years ago. :)

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Congratulations and am very glad to hear you are enjoying retirement.
For me it was a long time coming, but well worth working for. ...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Congratulations on the retirement, it's nice to be able to go shooting when the urge comes.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Doctors made me retire when I was 60 did not want to. First year was hard as I still wanted to work. Took me somewhere into my second year to get use to it.

Started building stuff my second year and that made me forget the 9-5 job mostly.
Build a CNC wood router and a CNC Co2 laser router. Problem is after I built them I found I did not really have much use for them. Ended up giving them to my nephew. Now I'm thinking of building a 3D printer, the type that uses the string filament. Don't even know what I would use it for but building it will be fun.

Nephew is one happy camper with the cnc machines. He wanted me to build a kit car, ask him why, did he have a need for one, just smiled.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,415 Posts
I have become a professional retiree .... once from the Govt, once from the corporate world, and twice from private business. It's been at least 10 years since I had to go to work .... nice to sleep in and do what I want. Of course the downside of retirement is health issues and I have had plenty experience with them.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Thought I was ready for retirement at 65. Tuned out I wasn't, after working on Wall Street for over 40 years, I missed the excitement (or stress). Anyway, went back to work full time. Go figure!

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Congratulations, refugeepj! Glad you are enjoying it. I know several people who dreaded the thought of retirement. They were so intense in their work, they could not imagine not working. One guy even died within 18 months of retiring.

Me, I have 3 1/2 more years only because I made a commitment when I took this job three years ago to see us through a major project and then train my replacement. Looking forward to that day of getting up and going shooting just because it is sunny and 70 degrees, like today.

·
Super Moderator
21,415 Posts
My advice is retire as early as you economically can. When I was in the working world we had a sales type that had a lot of years with the company I worked for then. We had a retirement party for him on a Saturday night with a meal, band and dancing and even a belly dancer. He was having a great time and we all wished him well and the party ended. He had a heart attack that night and died the following Wednesday. I heard that and I decided there is no justice in the world of life so if you can go then don't wait. I went at 55 and have been out 13 1/2 years.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,336 Posts
Congrats! I look forward to mine but will wait 20 years, 13 if it's my choice to make.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I retired 5 years ago and was honestly surprised at my reaction. One of my concerns was being one of those who couldn't let it go. The kind who show up every couple of months to say hi. I retired and just really don't think about my old job almost at all. If there's something in the paper about my old company I'll read it, but I don't go looking for it.

I was asked to come back as a contractor, but fairly quickly decided not to. I just don't miss the corporate HQ life although I did like my job. I did go in and I did a little informal training, but that was it for me. I knew they'd find someone who did the job at least as well as I did.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ah, counting down the days until June 30, 2017. Retirement Day. Then full time working around the Ranch between trips to the Range. Congrats to all of you who have met and mastered retirement. My hat's off to you.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've gone from managing the business to helping out 2 days a week 4 hours each. It's perfect. Left full time April at age 62. No pressure makes all the difference.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My vocation began to interfere with my advocation. Bailed at 55, changed careers from IT to being a Consultant dealing with recreation and environmental issues for motorized recreation groups.

12 years later I don't see myself slowing down. Love the freedom. Everyday is a new experience...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts