Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Army CW3
1,029 Posts
I use Browning® Performance Target 130gr FMJ. It is the same load as Winchester® Target 130gr FMJ (#Q4171). Low recoil and accurate.

·
Exchequer
4,421 Posts
Hornady makes a "lite" 38 sp defensive round. Might be a bit pricey for practice.

But as has already been said, a standard LRN 38 sp. round (not P+) should be rather mild out of a heavier revolver like the SP101.

Wadcutters could be another option if you can find them easily. They're soft shooting and, in my opinion, can provide a fine defensive round ....at least against 2-legged threats.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Wadcutters could be another option if you can find them easily. They're soft shooting and, in my opinion, can provide a fine defensive round ....at least against 2-legged threats.
148g. Wadcutter is my go-to for .38 Special, soft-shooting for practice and self-defense. Sometimes hard to find but found a great source, Precision One Ammunition.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For some real bunny farts get 148 wad cutters, get a Lee loader and they're pennies on the dollar the brass lasts almost forever

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,717 Posts
My wife has no recoil issues with Standard pressure rounds. I load mostly 125 gr GP coated bullets over a midrange load of Bullseye. We shoot those in training as well as some 158 hp +p rounds close to our home defense loads. Those are fine for her in our GP 100, but the recoil in our snubs is a bit much for her.

As HLG notes, the Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr Lite rounds are easy shooting, but costly for practice.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Look this over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Federal HST 130 grain +P

Very accurate, consistent and recoils like standard .38's. I have a difficult time believing it is really +P

Reliably mushrooms.

Cuts paper just like a wad cutter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts