Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MKII Target with the Voquartsen trigger kit installed. I'm getting two or three light strikes out of a full magazine. I have seen threads on this before, but cant find them now that I need them. Any help would be appreicated.:confused:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
To my way of thinking, the only reason for a light strike is a weak hammerspring.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Light strikes as in too shallow a firing pin indentation on the brass? Can't say that I've ever heard of a VQ trigger kit causing that. The most common issue with a VQ kit is the trigger failing to reset, either by using the sometimes too light trigger return spring supplied in the kit or by taking out too much pre and post travel on the trigger.

Have heard of this with replacement titanium firing pins, though. Did you put one of those in?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
When you installed the kit, was the VQ hammer/bushing a tight fit? The hammer must move freely on the bushing, no hanging up or hesitating as it drops. Check to see how easily the hammer pivots. If it's too tight a fit, it might be hesitating or hanging up enough to cause a light strike, now and then. If so, I'd polish all the contact surfaces of all parts that ride on that hammer pin - disconnector, bushing, hammer and safety.

I did one MKIII that had that issue, but a good polish with a stone cured it. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
How filthy is the bolt? Is there build-up in the firing pin channel? I doubt thats the problem, but its worth mentioning. Make sure the firing pin glides easily in the channel, no burrs, lightly oiled. I have never had light strikes from a Mark series... and I got a bunch of 'em

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My bet would go with the spring, and drag opinions above, but I recently noticed a couple similar strike problems with a previously reliable P22.

If you have a gauge for 22LR rims, check for thickness. Recent boxes of a couple bulk ammo types have a lot of variation, and the result in my P22 is weak ignition that barely ejects, and sometimes no at all. FTF's are rare though.

My MKI eats only Federal Target ammo, and an occassional carton of Remington Target. Never fails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts