Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bff and I have matching New Vaqueros in 45LC that perform perfectly but she has some nerve damage in her shooting hand that makes it very difficult to pull her hammer back. I know there are replacement springs available but there are several different weights and I don't know which one to choose. I don't even know what the stock spring weight is.

Which weight spring/spring brand should we choose that will lighten the pull without causing any adverse effects and is this something a noob can replace or should we have a professional do it? Thanks :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
My bff and I have matching New Vaqueros in 45LC that perform perfectly but she has some nerve damage in her shooting hand that makes it very difficult to pull her hammer back. I know there are replacement springs available but there are several different weights and I don't know which one to choose. I don't even know what the stock spring weight is.

Which weight spring/spring brand should we choose that will lighten the pull without causing any adverse effects and is this something a noob can replace or should we have a professional do it? Thanks :)
I would consider having a Bisley hammer installed before changing the spring. It will lower the spur considerably; effectively changing the fulcrum and making the revolver much easier to cock. The Bisley spur has a little more real-estate(wider) as well. The hammer switch will ultimately be less frustrating; least costly; and the safest modification vs changing the spring/tension.YMMV

Regards

Rod

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,411 Posts
Brandi, The factory hammer spring is rated at 23 lbs. You can safely install a 19 lb hammer spring without sacrificing light primer hits. The lighter spring will reduce cocking tension by about 20%. Lighter hammer springs also lighten trigger pull but increase "lock time".

rodteague, Yes, the Bisley hammer shape is easier to grip but requires the same exact amount of cocking pressure as a standard hammer. Besides, a Bisley hammer will not just drop in a normal frame. It requires enlarging the hammer slot by a considerable amount.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The lighter spring certainly reduces cocking effort. Besides fitting required for Bisley hammer, she may find that her thumb slips off the Bisley hammer, that purchase is better with the original hammer. As an aid to thumb contact on the spur, the spur may be checkered with skilled application of a checkering file.

That definitely would help to prevent slipping.

Also, she could cock with the heel of her "off" hand. Remember----finger off trigger when cocking!
David Bradshaw

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have added that both of our guns are Bisleys. She's tried cocking with the other hand but it's not exactly ideal. So it looks like the 19lb spring would be the best choice then. Is there a particular brand that's best and is swapping the spring something we could ourselves?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I read the springs for the original Vaquero and the New Vaquero aren't the same and I'm having a problem finding a 19 lb spring for the New Vaquero. Does anyone know where I can find one? Thanks :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
It sounds like you have already tried this, but just in case... the current ideal in SA shooting is to hold the gun in the strong hand and work the hammer with the other hand. This provides stability to the gun which creates an effective aim and it allows the gun to cycle almost as fast as a semi auto. Doing this well does require the development of some muscle memory, so practice is important. It is also non traditional, so there may be some raised eyebrows on the range or, even, here.

·
Registered
658 Posts
you may want to try the lightweight power trigger spring pak #30395.it has 3 different weight hammer springs so you can experiment.good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The new ruger vaquero factory spring is 17 lb and you can go to a 14 lb spring have changed them in my sass models and they work great !

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm running the Wolff 30/14 spring kit in my NM Vaquero.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/performance-enhancing-kits/new-vaquero-anniversary-blackhawk-shooters-paks-prod22780.aspx

The Bisley hammer needs to be fitted in order to get it to work in a NM Vaquero. The other option is the Super Blackhawk hammer which was a drop-in fit for me. There is also the SASS hammer but I was told, 18mts ago when I modded my Vaquero, that Ruger stopped selling the SASS hammers. They're basically the same as the SBH hammers except the serrations on the spur are checkered. It's easier to thumb the hammer and slide it off with the SBH hammer because of the horizontal serrations.

Here's my NM Vaquero with the Super Blackhawk hammer. It's a bit lower profile than the stock hammer. With the Wolff spring kit, it doesn't take a lot of effort to work the hammer.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the New Model Ruger Single Actions WITHOUT A LOCK use the same mainsprings (Bearcat excluded of course), so the only difference would be if their New Vaq's have the locks or not.

My convertible NV I just picked up is non-lock, and it took the same Wolff replacement mainspring as my original Vaqueros, Super Blackhawks, Blackhawks, Single sixes...

And also correct me if I'm wrong, even if you do have a lock model, isn't it just a matter of two coils difference in LENGTH, but otherwise the same force rate spring (i.e. same thickness wire, same twists per inch, just 2 coils shorter) for the standard SA spring and the lock models? So even if you get the long spring, you can simply cut it down.

I went the 'poor boy route' with several of my Ruger single actions and never had a hiccup - just cut 2 coils off of the mainspring and stretch it slightly. Between taking 2 coils off of the mainspring and lifting one leg of the trigger return spring off of the stay, it's a FREE spring tuning job that has worked just fine for shooters all over the country for at least 20yrs - which is 'roundabouts when I heard about it. Not that it's expensive to buy Wolff Spring kits though....

EDIT: And I don't know the answer to this one, so I gotta ask - Hers is a Bisley: Were the Bisley's ever made with the lock? I thought it was only the new XR3 frames that came with the locks? If it's the standard bisley frame with no lock, then it uses the same spring they've always used, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts