Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon me as I know very little about 10/22s but I am looking to build a rather light backpacker from the Tactical Solutions X-Ring Takedown or their receiver and Magpul Backpacker stock if I am replacing a bunch. I am hoping y'all can help?! My goals are mostly weight related as I have plenty of other firepower but want something light and portable for the 3 P's; plinking, packing and maybe a little personal defense.

I am looking to replace the barrel with the Willand 10/22 LLW Barrel which I am currently unsure if it will work or if I need something special for the Backpacker stock or TacSol receiver? (I plan on adding a fiber optic front sight if I cannot reuse the one from the TacSol)

I am also wondering about trigger group weight I see a lot of drop in stuff but very little if any lists weight. Should I stick with the stock that comes on the TacSol or is there a better one at less weight compatible with an extended mag release (if one does not come with it) that also doesn't suck too bad.

I do plan on running titanium bolts/screws where I can.

Is there anything else I should be considering? The stock is one I am not looking to change as I really like the functionality of it. I am a cyclist so weight weenie stuff and modification is common but I haven't really done gun modification and haven't owned a 10/22 or clone.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
611 Posts
The Backpacker checks all the "P" boxes. My TD has DYI work on the trigger, smoothed action, bolt release, buffer, fiber optic sights, and etc. 4 mags at all times. Very fun. I highly recommend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it, what is your weight on it? My goal Is mostly weight related. Normally not a factor but the draw of a under 3lb rifle is pretty appealing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried a carbon fiber wrapped barrel?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Any manufacturers that I should look out for the Willand is 10.5oz and so far the Taccom 3G is 10.2oz so anything as light or lighter would be ideal.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Backpacker checks all the "P" boxes. My TD has DYI work on the trigger, smoothed action, bolt release, buffer, fiber optic sights, and etc. 4 mags at all times. Very fun. I highly recommend.
View attachment 148629
That is freakin sweet. I've been wanting a back packer but I didnt know how the install would fair up on the barrel since the original has a barrel band.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
611 Posts
5.8# with four loaded mags. Nowhere near 3#.
I like it, what is your weight on it? My goal Is mostly weight related. Normally not a factor but the draw of a under 3lb rifle is pretty appealing.

The barrel is attached with one bolt and no barrel band. Stock comes with an adapter that's not used for heavy bbl models. Very solid.
That is freakin sweet. I've been wanting a back packer but I didnt know how the install would fair up on the barrel since the original has a barrel band.

·
Registered
344 Posts
@sprakyv

The barrel is attached with one bolt and no barrel band. Stock comes with an adapter that's not used for heavy bbl models. Very solid.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5.8# with four loaded mags. Nowhere near 3#.

The barrel is attached with one bolt and no barrel band. Stock comes with an adapter that's not used for heavy bbl models. Very solid.
I am mostly looking at weight pre-ammo. Obviously ammo will add weight and I am cool with that but if the gun is heavy before hand I won't want to carry as much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts