Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Lipsey Exclusive flattop Blackhawk convertible .45LC/.45acp...is it "Ruger Only" compatible? I found one for sale with the barrel length I wanted after I just bought a Ruger Blackhawk convertible same caliber with the barrel length I really didn't want.

·
Registered
150 Posts
my understanding is that you should be able to handle .45 ACP +P without issue, and I know Buffalo Bore makes some hot .45 Colt that is acceptable on this frame. For the "Ruger Only" loads you need something built on the Super Blackhawk frame.

·
Registered
60 Posts
No, it is a smaller frame gun than the regular Blackhawk.

I Need Some .45LC Schooling
Correct. I just went through this when I bought my 5243 Convertible. You can usually tell just by looking at the wall between cylinders:
Rim Automotive tire Auto part Circle Pattern

Side Note: I bet there are others here who would be interested in either the one you have or the one you found.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got my answer from Ruger Customer Service:
Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is xxxxxxx
Our Firearms are designed to handle all US Industry Standard Ammunition made to SAAMI Spec including +P., except 45 Colt +P & 44 +P. If you have specific questions as to whether a type of ammunition meets SAAMI specs. We recommend you contact an ammo manufacturer.

Ruger Customer Service

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I got my answer from Ruger Customer Service:
Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is xxxxxxx
Our Firearms are designed to handle all US Industry Standard Ammunition made to SAAMI Spec including +P., except 45 Colt +P & 44 +P. If you have specific questions as to whether a type of ammunition meets SAAMI specs. We recommend you contact an ammo manufacturer.

Ruger Customer Service
That would be the generic answer. Ruger does nor recommend the use of ANY reloaded ammunition in any of their firearms - ever.

Bruce

·
Registered
66 Posts
First off, MAXFAM, I love your collection of Ruger Flattops!!!! Beautiful Rugers!!!! A couple years back, I spotted a Ruger 45LC/45ACP Blackhawk with 4 5/8" barrel at a local gun show. After a few minutes of handling it, I took it home. I liked the way it felt!!!! At the time, I didn't know it was a Lipseys Special. Mine is blued, & I changed the hammer to a Super Blackhawk hammer, & replaced the white plastic grips with wood grips from Ruger. All this being said. At the time I didn't know about not being able to shoot "Ruger-Only" loads through it. But, at my age (70), I don't feel the need for all that power, Ha Ha Ha. I'm totally happy shooting normal power 45LC, or 45ACP loads through it!!! I just love this thing!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts