Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was made aware that Ruger has produced for Lipsey's, a run of blued GP-100's in .44 Special with a 5" barrel. To me, this would be an outstanding revolver to add to my Ruger collection.
Has anyone seen one? Impressions?
Purchased? Price - if you don't mind informing others?
Fired one?
Accuracy?
Favorite loads?
I would really appreciate some First Hand evaluation and information.
Are there any other .44 Special fans out there?

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
338 Posts
The only problem that I have heard about is the barrel stub, at the forcing cone is very thin. I have heard of a few cracked barrels from this issue. They are great looking guns. I hve the 327fed and the 357mag versions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I handled one at the gun store. I think it was a full lug version. It seemed to balance really well in my hand. Probably should have bought it. I think it felt a lot nicer than my 3" .44 Special.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
msauter -
THAT would be The ONE!
That's one good looking revolver and as per your target - it's a shooter!
What was the range and what ammo are you shooting? If you reload, what's the revolver's favorite load?
Thanks for posting!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
189 Posts
msauter -
THAT would be The ONE!
That's one good looking revolver and as per your target - it's a shooter!
What was the range and what ammo are you shooting? If you reload, what's the revolver's favorite load?
Thanks for posting!

WYT-P
Skyhunter
That was 25 rounds at 40 feet, standing. I reload, that was with 200 gr Xtreme plated RNFP over 5.2 gr of Bullseye. That load seems to work well in all of my .44’s.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Im a 44spl fan. And I want it as a 44spl, not a 44 magnum loaded with 44specials. It's a great round, in the early 1900's it was a loved round. It has the performance of the 45acp. I have a 44spl Blackhawk. But I would like a double action 44spl.

Thunder Ranch has a Thunder Ranch revolver, the first was a 44spl. Now it's a 45acp revolver.
I like a couple of the cult rounds like the .41, and 45 colt. I have revolvers in them. But you have to reload to cover the cost for these and the 44spl.

I run across people that shoot them and it stands out because they are odd. I ran across a guy that had a 1911 in 38 Super. My first comment was why do you have a 38 Super, normally only competition shooters shoot it. His dad had it and did compete.

·
Registered
72 Posts
“Ruger Harry” lol. I carried a 38 super colt competition pistol and it was super just to be different. Great round. Shot flat as a pancake. Someday I want a 44 special bulldog as main carry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts