Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This three screw gun is available locally for $350. Owner says he inherited it and doesn't know much about it. He says he doesn't have the magnum cyl but it doesn't look like a conv model. Serial number is 407562. What do you guys think? Thanks

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Has the gun had the conversion done to the transfer bar safety? If not, even without an extra cylinder or the box, that is still a very good price, given the apparent condition from your pics. The condition of the gun is the important thing, much more so than whether it includes the extra cylinder. In our area, that gun would easily sell for over $400. I'd have no trouble buying it, but it's your call.

That is within the time frame when Ruger started supplying these with extra cylinders, so it MAY have shipped with one. Yes, even on these Standards, some were supplied with extra cylinders, but those often got lost over the years.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's another pic. It doesn't appear to be converted.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sorry, the stepped hammer is converted for the transfer bar. Still a decent price. I'm shocked that the country gal would consider it ?? She'll buy any Ruger SS.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yep. Its been converted. I wouldn't pay more than $275 for it.

Reactions: Highhawk1948

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Sorry, the stepped hammer is converted for the transfer bar. Still a decent price. I'm shocked that the country gal would consider it ?? She'll buy any Ruger SS.
Guilty as charged. :)

As to the price, if he can find the original parts, you're still good and have a safer gun to carry to boot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does he have the original parts from before the conversion?
I'm trying to find that out. Could anyone tell me what the year of mfg was?
Thanks again

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to the guy tonite and explained the issue with the conversion....he has no parts.
But...........he's selling it to me for $275. I'm going to meet him in the next few days to examine it in person. I've had single six convs before and I'm familiar with the function. Is there anything specific I should look for? Thanks

·
Registered
708 Posts
yes very good price and at that serial number range well passed the 150,000 range of the older NON magnum guns, so you can make it a convertible, go for it, NICE gun, worth that in parts.................
and old model lock work is easily enough to be found...................

·
Registered
774 Posts
By all means grab it for $275.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Conversion cylinder from Ruger?

Would this conversion cylinder be installed by Ruger?

What do they charge to supply and fit a Magnum cylinder?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Ruger won't install a magnum cylinder in a revolver that wasn't shipped as a convertible or a magnum.

But you can buy one for $50-100 on eBay at any time, and it'll work just fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
surveyor1995, Matter of fact ... yes, there were 22 LR only Single-Sixes and the OP's was one of them. His serial number indicates a 22 LR only made in 1964 ... not a convertible, no magnum cylinder included, however by the time this gun was made, Ruger had changed the bore diameter to .224" so it would be safe to shoot if you buy a magnum cylinder for it.

The Ruger Catalog Number for this gun is: RSS5W where RSS = Ruger Single-Six, 5=5 1/2" barrel, and W=Walnut grips. This same gun was also made in 22 WRM only ... same exact Catalog Number and the same serial number sequence, however the frame was marked "RUGER SINGLE-SIX WIN .22 RF MAG. CAL" whereas the OP's is marked "Ruger 22 CAL SINGLE-SIX".

OM Single-Sixes are getting scarce ... hardly ever see them at gun shows now and rightfully so .... it's been 43 years since they were discontinued. I would pay $350 ... even for a converted old model Single-Six.
I Picked up this gun yesterday for $200. Aside from a few scratches in the ejector housing and back of the grip frame it was in amazing condition.....dirty but amazing. I just got off the phone with Ruger CS. It was made in 1964 and is WRM only, which explains why a magnum round drops into the cylinder and a LR just wobbles. Curious that Magnum is not noted on the frame anywhere. The last three numbers of the serial are scratched onto the cylinder, so I'm sure it's original.
Thank you for all the help. I'll post pics in a separate thread shortly.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Given that not a lot of magnum only Single Sixes were shipped, that makes your SS an even better buy. $200 is an amazing price. Pics when you can, of course. Again, congrats on a great find.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts