Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've gotten myself into a pickle, and while I know a little about guns I know nothing about revolvers. I purchased for my wife a ruger revolver, and it came with some Moon Clips. I used this to load the revolver. But I want to take out the loaded cartridges and moon clips. How do I do this on a Ruger? The tutorials that I'm seeing online show easy unloading when the cartridges are spent, but mine are not and attached to a moon clip. How can I remove all loaded cartridges including the moon clip holding them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. So I have a Ruger 9mm Luger. I can get the exact model number if needed, but it does look like the screenshot that I paste below.

So I tried to push in the ejector rod, and it does nothing. It's very firm in place. If you look at my screenshot below, the red arrow is the ejector rod I'm pushing in with no luck. The green arrow points to the unit that does press in slightly when I press it - not sure if that is helpful.

I'm worried that I'm using the wrong cartridges, and as a result they are stuck? While the revolver explicitly says 'Luger', I'm not certain if the cartridges are 'lugers'. They are 9mm, and I use them in my Glock. If I need to take a screenshot of the cartridges let me know.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
If your gun says 9mm, the 9mm rounds should be fine. Luger is just a specific length (9 X 19 mm). If the gun says .38 special or .357 magnum, you may have an issue (I couldn't read the caliber from your picture). The Ruger LCR comes in all three calibers.

Can you reach in with a fingernail and pull the rounds out 1 at a time? Tapping the ejector rod should push the moon clip and the rounds out with it, but if that isn't happening, you need to get them out safely.

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,622 Posts
The cartridges are fine. I can read the 9mm Luger headstamp in your picture. I think a good smack on the ejector rod with the palm of your hand should pop everything out. A grain of sand or something is likely binding one of the cartridges in a chamber.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The cartridges are fine. I can read the 9mm Luger headstamp in your picture. I think a good smack on the ejector rod with the palm of your hand should pop everything out. A grain of sand or something is likely binding one of the cartridges in a chamber.
That’s not his gun but a generic screenshot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll post a screenshot of the actual cartridges when I get the chance. I'll reply with the result of tapping the outward facing end of the ejector rod at the same time.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,351 Posts
The good news is, as long as the cylinder is swung open you are "safe". This isn't one of those gun situations where a live cartridge is stuck in a chamber.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey everyone: just wanted to say that I had to tap on that ejector rod for 10 plus taps, but it finally pushed through - and the cartridges were spent!

Is there some maintenance that I should be doing to not have to bring a hammer with me to the range (haha)?

I'll post photos of the cartridges that I'm using to make sure that I'm not using the wrong size for this revolver.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,351 Posts
I'm confused. First post you said they were unfired and now they were spent. You forgot you'd fired the revolver, or your wife took her gun to the range and didn't unload the spent casings after firing.

Maybe they were cheap steel case ammo? Those can expand after firing and be a bitch to get out.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Make sure you clean the cylinders well. At least use a cleaner and patch. Using a brass brush would help if it gets real dirty. If REALLY dirty, you might want to put the brass brush in a drill and work it a little.

My go-to cleaner-lube is Hornady Oneshot Gun Cleaner (NOT the case lube of similar name). It cleans well and leaves a dry lube film which will not contaminate anything. So you can spray it on cylinders, barrels, firing pins, springs and it will not gum anything or attract dirt like wet lubes can. It comes in an aerosol can, so you can spray it into hard-to-reach places and not worry about build-up.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
This thread has really piqued my curiosity. How can something so simple possibly be this complex?

It reminds me of the recent thread from the guy who couldn't figure out how to change grips on his GP100.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,351 Posts
This thread has really piqued my curiosity. How can something so simple possibly be this complex?
It could be steel case or maybe even aluminum case ammo. I stupidly ran a box of aluminum case ammo through my Walther PPS before reading the manual which said "brass only" and sure enough it would not extract a spent case. I had to stick a dowel down the muzzle and hammer it fairly robustly.

No idea why the Walther chambers are so tight like that. Typically Germanic "pingelig" engineering and fanatical adherence to specs I guess. It's the most accurate pistol I own, so I won't complain.

Happens a lot too on the trap range. Winchester AAs are the only American "big three" shotshell still using a 100% brass head. Others that look like brass are a brass coated steel. I see a fair amount of guns that won't reliably eject anything except AAs. We keep a long wooden rod by each scoring chair for ATA shoots just because it happens so often, and we've got too many competitors to have a slow-down while someone finds a rod.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Yeah hopefully it is a simple remedy to eject the moon clip.

In advice to the OP, don't be super rough with the revolver but don't be afraid to use some force. Guns are designed to contain explosions so don't be afraid to apply some gusto to get the problem fixed.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I think what happened is the wife took the revolver out, shot all of the rounds, and then when she tried to push the ejector rod it just wouldn't budge. Then she brought it home to me, where I've all my life have just shot pistols or rifles and never revolvers, and when I tried it I too couldn't get it budged - so we both assumed it was jammed or we used wrong ammo. So then it sat there in one of our 16 ammo cases "take it down to the gun shop" todo list - and that was 13 months ago. I'm now trying to get this all figured out for her birthday. When I picked it up this morning, the revolver is so heavy I just figured it was live rounds so was super careful - and was trained to just always assume rounds are live to some extent.

Even though this revolver says "Luger" all over it, can I use any 9mm cartridge or do I need to explicitly buy "Lugers" for them to fit properly in here?

The 9mm rounds I had purchased 3,000 of them as I love running through them on my Glocks, so had just assumed they would work for the Ruger. I keep promising to take a photo of the rounds, and I'll post that tomorrow morning my time for clarity in case anyone comes across this later and finds value in the discussion.

I really appreciate everyone's quick feedback. This has been super helpful and saved me an embarrassing trip to my local gunsmith. He has enough troubles with me for my AR-10s, that I think this would make him laugh even more.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts