Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya, guys. got a problem.
i've got 7500 rounds thru my 22/45.
i never minded the LCI, tho i never much wanted it.
i don't mind if the gun tells me there's a round in the chamber even tho i think i'm supposed to know that.
but now, if the bolt is closed, the LCI is up. it shows a round chambered if one is or not.
i find this irritating.
i don't wanna spend time or money on this. can i just grab it with pliers n yank it out?
yeah i've seen people talk about using magnets but i have no idea where to find a magnet to fit in there.
this is the most accurate gun for a hundred miles around. but, it's low end ugly so i don't care about leaving a gap if accuracy isn't effected.
i'd fix it if that was easy but i'm not sure how.

so, could i have your ideas, please?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Have you disassemble and cleaned around the LCI and its pin etc? Could be the flag of the pin or the channel has some damage or dirt etc.
instant of buying a replacement you could probably just removing it and file it down so that it doesn't stick up but you might have to make sure that the reduced profile didn't result it the flag get caught on something. I'm not sure if filing off the bottom of it would work but it is possible that removing the portion that would normally touch the loaded round would leave the top flush and not cause any interference.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hanks guys. i don't wanna spend money on this because i'm busy buying up ammo, but
i'll disassemble.
i'd rather rip it out.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The end of the flag should only touch the rim of the chambered case - and not affect the chamber itself at all - if it did with the flag installed or removed the case would be fire-formed into the opening resulting in a stuck case.

For a carry gun the concern (with or without the flag installed) might be getting gunk inside the opening which could result in a failure to function.

Personally I prefer to replace parts and keep the factory part intact in case I need to return it to factory spec for any reason but if you identify the portion of the indicator that contacts the rim of the case and file/grind/sand it down such that it does not make contact - then it would not be sticking up and would block the opening from having larger debris getting into the action - but still could result in some malfunction I suppose.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you disasemble your gun (field strip) its easy to remove, and it might just need cleaning under it. The one on my Mk III was plastic, and broke right away. There was a guy on the target talk forum that was making a SS plug to fit the hole if you want to do away with it. But either fix it, or remove it properly. Adult gun ownership and saftey does not include tearing parts you dont fully understand off your handgun with pliers.... it could lead to a saftey issue with the remaining parts hanging up in the reciever

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks. i'll field strip n clean. i don't do that often because i don't find reassembly gets as easy as everyone says.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a like new lci black and an lci stainless, swapped with tk lci eliminators. If yours is busted pm me and I will mail one to you. They are of no use to me.

hanks guys. i don't wanna spend money on this because i'm busy buying up ammo, but
i'll disassemble.
i'd rather rip it out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's super sweet of you, raz. i'll see if it's broken or not. i'll check against the diagram.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm unable to get my LCI to come out. I've heard something about heating this thing up and getting it out but don't know the details of doing that. Anybody know?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Susie, I'll chime in with another vote that it most likely just needs cleaning, too. No need to disassemble to clean it, either. I just use a small tooth brush and solvent when I see any dirt accumulating in the area.

As for doing the field strip, keep at it. No need to do it after every shooting session, but, sooner or later, you will get enough gunk building up in the chamber and breech area to cause feeding and extraction issues. That's your Mark's way of telling you it's time to pull the bolt and give the bore, chamber and breech area a good scrubbing. This is somewhere around the thousand round point in our Marks, depending on the ammo we've been shooting.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks, north. i'll try the tooth brush. i always put off field stripping. it's hard, no matter how often i do it.
i've taken the gun apart, installed a new sear n hammer bushing but it's still hard.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh, i've watched every vid. i've field stripped it 4 times.
i can do it, but it's still hard.
it's something i put off to the last possible moment.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The little black pin holding the LCI in place usually comes out with a magnet. Just field strip then put a magnet on the pin and lift the magnet. Sometimes you have to remove a little pressure off the pin by pushing in on the LCI while pulling the magnet. If it is really dirty you might have to tap on the barrel with a rubber hammer while pulling the pin with a magnet.

I don't like the looks or function of the LCI and replaced mine with the LCI filler by Tandemkross. I save the original LCI in case I have to send the pistol back to Ruger. They hate 3rd party parts on there products.

For the record, the magnet pulled the pin right out of my Competition but it took a bit more effort on my Hunter.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Suzie, a powerful magnetic tool has always worked for me. You can get one at your local Home Depot for just under $5. Empire 5-3/4 in. Long Scriber with Magnet-27021 - The Home Depot

Then you can follow the magnet sliding technique demonstrated on the Tandemkross video that begins at about 1:30 minutes to remove the LCI pivot pin. I also find that some LCI's need a bit of gentle pushing with a finger to release the spring tension to assist with the removal. Just take a look at this pic~

Of course you do have to remove the receiver to take out the indicator. For those with difficult receivers (i.e. tight fitting) I use a 1 1/2lb plastic dead-blow hammer to coax them on and off with no marring of the finish. Which you can also pick up at a big box hardware store for approx. $15. TEKTON 32 oz. Dead Blow Hammer-30705 - The Home Depot You will likely find this item useful in the future for dis/reassembly of your pistol.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

1 - 20 of 28 Posts