Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally broke down and loaded 70 rounds of .327 FM using the Meyer .32 caliber 94 grain LSCW. I looked at my down loads on information with these bullets. Well my loading data jumps from 90 to 98 grain bullets. Suggested starting point on 98 grain bullets and above with 2400 powder was 10 grains. Well I am right in the middle at a 94 grain bullet so I started my first loads at 10 grains of 2400 powder see how this load works out. I am not impressed with the Lee reloading die. Especially the sizing die. So much adjustments with .327 FM I got all my brass sized and primed. Then when I went to do the last 20 the damn die would punch out the primer?? I had to tightened down the top adjustment know with a 1/2 & back it up with a 3/4 wrench according to the instructions. Had so much hassle with this die I finally had to put the damn thing in a wise to turn the knob far enough to be able to knock out the primers from the brass. Never had this problem with RCBS dies. Looks like I am going to sell or get rid of these dies and buy some .327 FM RCBS dies!!!:mad: But I at least tried to reload a few rounds! I think my next thing to do is order some starline .32 H&R brass and work up some loads!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why order 32 H&R brass? You can load to the same levels in 327 brass. I have had no issues w/ my Lee die set. I prefer their decapping setup. It's very hard to break a pin. Sometimes it does seem that you really have to torque the collet down. But I've only had the rod keep slipping when i was attempting to use a die to case form.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cannot understand this design to have a collet. Why is the rod slipping when decamping primers?? Never had this problem with my RCBS dies when l using my .38 Special dies! I like the carbide sizer but having the collet slip to me is not a very good design!!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I also have Lee dies and once I got the collet tightened I haven't had a problem. It is a little bit of a strange set up compared to the positive locking of the RCBS die sets but as stated less chance of a broken decapping pin.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That might be true but after all the trouble I had to go thru with getting the collet tightened down not impressed with the Lee Dies!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Cannot understand this design to have a collet. Why is the rod slipping when decamping primers?? Never had this problem with my RCBS dies when l using my .38 Special dies! I like the carbide sizer but having the collet slip to me is not a very good design!!
Morning gqucool

That collet on the de-capping pin is both a good thing & a pain.

The good is: if you ever (or when) you stick a case in the re-sizing die you can simply remove the collet & pin then stick a rod down into the case through the die & drive the stuck case out of the die (you don't even have to remove the die from your press)---The other semi-good thing is if you have a tight primer you won't bend or break the de-capping pin as it SHOULD slide in the collet before bending/breaking)

The bad is: that de-capping pin can slide in the collet unless tightened securely & the oil/grease is removed from the de-capping pin in the collet area before tightening.--- When I get a new Lee die I always remove the de-capping pin then clean the pin & collet & put a bit of lube on the OD of the collet threads (OD of threads only not on inside of collet) then put the die in my bench vise & tighten that collet securely (never had the de-capper pin slip during normal de-capping after doing this)

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
I also have Lee dies and once I got the collet tightened I haven't had a problem. It is a little bit of a strange set up compared to the positive locking of the RCBS die sets but as stated less chance of a broken decapping pin.
Same experience here! That pin wants to slip unless it's really torqued down. I also cleaned the collet and pin to give it even more purchase. I have broken de-capping pins with my RCBS dies.

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Why order 32 H&R brass? You can load to the same levels in 327 brass. I have had no issues w/ my Lee die set. I prefer their decapping setup. It's very hard to break a pin. Sometimes it does seem that you really have to torque the collet down. But I've only had the rod keep slipping when i was attempting to use a die to case form.
Some of us have guns in both 32 H&R and 327 Fed. I still load 32 H&R's as my practice /plinker loads. A full house load in my SSMs is my plinker for the Single Sevens. I save the 327 brass for the hot stuff.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gunman5646 in another thread there has been issues with sizing dies I expressed my thoughts here and elsewhere. My question I have gathered by your response's in other threads you have done quite a bit of reloading with .327 FM & .32 H&R magnum. My question here is there another maker of .327FM brass besides Federal or Starline?? From what I have read in the other thread makes me wonder if another type of brass should be used as to not have sizer probems?? I am still not very happy with the design of these Lee sizing decapping dies!!! Thanks for any response comments ideas etc!!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
What can I say? I've had no trouble at all with any of my Lee dies. I did initially have a bit of trouble with the decapping pin in my .44 set, but once I got it locked down good and snug, I've never had a moment's trouble. I've never used another brand, but if you like RCBS, then I say, "That's what makes a good horse race!" (I also favor brunettes and red-headed gals... Married the brunette, and had the reds.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts