Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to expand the loads for my Browning HP GP using plated 147 gr RN X-Treme bullets for my 9mm Browning P35 HP. Has anyone out there had any experience loading 147 gr bullets in 9mm Luger using CFE Pistol powder?

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Wish I could help. My best loads for my BHP are with 124 gr Xtreme FP's and HS6. Virtually one hole groups at 15yds, under an inch at 7yds off hand. 1100 fps with 6.2 grs.
This load also works well in my LC9.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Decided to expand the loads for my Browning HP GP using plated 147 gr RN X-Treme bullets for my 9mm Browning P35 HP. Has anyone out there had any experience loading 147 gr bullets in 9mm Luger using CFE Pistol powder?
I loaded Xtreme's 135 grain RNFP with CFE Pistol & they were great.

Kind of a strange weight & I developed my own load. Hodgdons is a great resource online & via email. That support is part of why I like their powders so much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to try 4.0 gr of CFE Pistol pushing the Xtreme 147 gr RN, with a COL of 1.10". I'm taking it out to the range tomorrow and see how it goes. I about in the middle of the Hodgdon online load data for 147 gr bullets.
Harold Mendelson

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I decided to try 4.0 gr of CFE Pistol pushing the Xtreme 147 gr RN, with a COL of 1.10". I'm taking it out to the range tomorrow and see how it goes. I about in the middle of the Hodgdon online load data for 147 gr bullets.
Harold Mendelson
Powder wise, that's OK, but I have to say that is way too short for the 147 grain Xtreme bullet with a .357" diameter.

Berry's 147 grain RN bullet is .672 in length & they have a recommended C.O.L. of 1.160" (cartridge overall length) from Berry's.

I load their 124 gr. RN to 1.160" also & it's length is 0.590" & they fire & function well in several 9mm pistols.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have experimented with the X-Treme 124 grain RN using CFE in the low 5 grain range and a COL of 1.15, works pretty good.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I have experimented with the X-Treme 124 grain RN using CFE in the low 5 grain range and a COL of 1.15, works pretty good.
zaster, that is my load for 124gr. RN Xtreme or Berry's bullets, 5.2gr. of CFE Pistol, but I use 1.160" C.O.L. Very accurate & great function.

115gr. RN get 5.4gr. with a 1.130" C.O.L. Great function also, just not quite as accurate, that's why I moved to 124gr. + they were about the same price, but last week Xtreme had a box of 500 115gr. for $33 + free shipping & I had to jump.

·
Registered
649 Posts
zaster, that is my load for 124gr. RN Xtreme or Berry's bullets, 5.2gr. of CFE Pistol, but I use 1.160" C.O.L. Very accurate & great function.

115gr. RN get 5.4gr. with a 1.130" C.O.L. Great function also, just not quite as accurate, that's why I moved to 124gr. + they were about the same price, but last week Xtreme had a box of 500 115gr. for $33 + free shipping & I had to jump.
+1 on the 115 grain, same reason I went with the 124 ;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Here is the range report on using 158 gr Xtreme RN with 4.0 gr of CFE Pistol and the COL= 1.10".
I fired a total of 50 rounds with the above load with Winchester cases. I had two stove pipes. All rounds fired and ended up in either the 9 or 10 ring at 15 yards. My reason for using a COL of 1.10" is that what the Hodgdon online load data for CFE Pistol indicated. I Will change the load to 4.1 gr of CFE Pistol and keep everything else the same and try another 50 rounds. I will post the results.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I am confused on several levels.

1st, are you the OP? You have the same name.

2nd. Did you mean 147 grain round nose bullets, because you posted 158.

The 147 grain 9mm bullet in the Hodgdon online data is a Hornady XTP bullet that is a hollow point & shorter than a round nose bullet, giving you the 1.10" length.

The round nose 147 grain is much longer than the same weight HP XTP bullet & needs a longer COL.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, the spell checker on my phone has a mind or it's own.
I am using Xtreme 147 gr RN bullets for 9 mm Luger loads. These are powered by 4.0 gr of CFE Pistol with a COL of 1.10".
I shot about 50 rounds at my club. Accuracy was OK. The only problem was a couple of stove pipes during ejection. I loaded 50 more with 4.1 gr of CFE Pistol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts